Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Mom’s Group?

Shortly after Tori was born, I discovered that my town is home to a very large, very active mom’s group. With the click of my mouse, I gained access to a huge pool of potential friends—not to mention opportunities to get out and about.

But I never RSVPed for a single meet up.

I was afraid of being judged. Of being shunned. Of reliving the social awkwardness of my teenage years. I was sure they’d take one look at me and know me for the imposter I was quite certain I was.

So I stayed away.

But you know what? I’m kind of a social creature. And my self-imposed isolation started to weigh pretty heavily on me (see also: last week’s complete meltdown).

So I took the plunge.

I RSVPed for an outing involving cocktails and cupcakes—a winning combination (in my book) if there ever was one. And since the number of attendees was rather small, I knew my inner hermit wouldn’t freak out at the sight of a huge crowd.

But still, I was nervous.

My pulse raced as I fixed my makeup and re-did my hair. My heart pounded when my husband finally shooed me out to my car, threatening to drive me himself if I didn’t get on the road. And when I arrived at the hostess’ house?  I was so nervous I could hardly swallow.

But in I went.

And at first, there were some awkward silences. I found myself babbling—trying (overly) hard to make them like me. But eventually, my nerves subsided, and I found (much to my surprise) that I was having a good time.

Did I meet my future BFF? I don’t know—probably not. But I did spend a pleasant evening with a bunch of really interesting women (and ate some tasty cupcakes while I was at it).

I left with a warm glow in my heart (one only partially induced by the alcohol). I think maybe it is possible to make friends as a grown-up. I know I’ll go back.

Turns out that mom groups aren’t nearly as scary as I thought. And that? Is a good thing, indeed.

10 Comments on Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Mom’s Group?

1. Las Vegas Mama
    October 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm (5 years ago)

Good for you!! sounds like a fun time!

October 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm (5 years ago)

It was good to get out of the house, that’s for sure. I was starting to wear a butt groove into the couch.

2. Jen
    October 14, 2010 at 10:02 pm (5 years ago)

I too have always been scared of moms groups but maybe I don’t need to be.

October 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm (5 years ago)

You could always give it a try…if nothing else, it might make for good blog fodder.

3. dusty earth mother
    October 14, 2010 at 10:55 pm (5 years ago)

Good for you for gutting it out (well, that sounds fun, doesn’t it)!

October 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm (5 years ago)

Fortunately, I went home with guts intact. 😉

4. Mandi
    October 15, 2010 at 8:15 pm (5 years ago)

Cocktails and cupcakes… that’s awesome! I need to throw a party like that sometime!
    I’m glad you went. I am part of a moms group and didn’t really know anyone at first. But I really look forward to it every week! I’ve made some great friends. You won’t regret it! Plus it’s nice to get out of the house and talk with other moms (face to face) often. I was really nervous too at first but the more I went the more comfortable I became!

October 18, 2010 at 11:03 am (5 years ago)

I know, talk about a brilliant idea! I think that’s going to be my theme for Thanksgiving this year (it’d be tastier than turkey!). I’m glad to hear it gets easier…I’m counting on it.

5. Kelly
    October 16, 2010 at 12:32 am (5 years ago)

I’m impressed! I wouldn’t have gone knowing it was small group of people who most likely all know each other. You have cajones!

October 18, 2010 at 11:02 am (5 years ago)

I can fend for myself in a small group. When it’s a massive crowd, I tend to clam up and hide in a corner!