A Short Term Bucket List.

One week from today, I will be 35. I could pretend that doesn’t bother me, but that would be a lie. By now, my teenage self was sure I’d have written a novel, made my first million, sailed around the world and gained the power to fly (I always wanted to be a superhero).

Well, unless there’s a winning lottery ticket hidden underneath the sofa cushion I’m currently sitting on, none of those things are likely to come true in the next week. But there are a few, far more achievable goals that I’ve set for myself.

A very short term bucket list, if you will. So here, in no particular order, are a few things I have to do before midnight on October 11th:

Dye my hair back to something resembling my natural color. I actually already did that (I like to start To Do lists with something I can immediately cross off).

Teach Tori how to jump in leaf piles. Jumping in leaves has always been one of my very favorite fall activities. And sharing that joy with her? Is something I’m definitely looking forward to.

Get caught up on my laundry. Sounds easy, right? Wrong. I have ten, maybe twelve loads to do (at least). But I’d really like to be able to see the bottom of my walk in closet sometime in this century.

Visit a real cider mill. Indiana claims to have cider mills. Which can only mean that none of these people have ever been to a real cider mill. One with a water wheel. And cider made on site. And donuts. Especially donuts. As a Michigan girl, I simply can’t understand how an apple stand can pretend to the title of “Cider Mill” without offering any sugary, cinnamon-y donut-y goodness.

Sleep for eight hours. In a row. It’s a dream I have. A much-loved, often-imagined, never-realized dream. This must be resolved.

Find a pair of jeans that fit and make my ass look good. i have three types of jeans in my closet right now. Those that are practically falling off, those that fit but make me look like a mom, and those that almost fit—and would look pretty sexy—if I could just refrain from eating (at all) for the next three weeks. This is a situation that must be remedied.

Plan my next vacation (or at least come up with a plan for a plan). Why? Because I like vacations. What better reason is there?

Think of an idea for a novel. I’d like to write one before I’m 40. Between, you know, writing blog posts  and taking care of my daughter and my house and spending time with my husband and going to work and… Okay. So it might be tough. But a girl’s got to have dreams, right?

So that’s it. My bucket list for the next week. What’s on your bucket list?

16 Comments on A Short Term Bucket List.

1. Kelly
    October 5, 2010 at 9:58 am (5 years ago)

Working with the premise that the bucket list is for age 35, mine would have re-do the floors in my house, learn to stick with a schedule, and clear out 25% of the clutter in my house.

Obviously my house is weighing heavy today. And my disorganization. Blegh!

October 5, 2010 at 8:47 pm (5 years ago)

Amen, sister. I think I need blinders. Then I wouldn’t see the mess.

2. Jen
    October 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm (5 years ago)

I like your bucket list, especially the part about sleeping 8 hours in a row and jumping in leaves.

October 5, 2010 at 8:46 pm (5 years ago)

How ’bout sleeping eight hours in a pile of leaves? Nah, that would be itchy.

3. Allison @ Alli n Son
    October 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm (5 years ago)

Good luck on the jeans. They are the hardest thing to shop for. Right after bras.

October 5, 2010 at 8:45 pm (5 years ago)

I know it. Hate. Hate jeans shopping. Alas it’s a necessary evil.

4. Janet
    October 5, 2010 at 4:23 pm (5 years ago)

I would love to sleep 8 hours in a row. Especially without medication. lol

I am all for writing something on your list just to immediately check it off. I do that all the time!

October 5, 2010 at 8:44 pm (5 years ago)

You know what would be better than eight hours of sleep? Ten. Followed by an afternoon nap! Pure bliss, that’s what that would be.

5. Doing the Mom Thing
    October 5, 2010 at 8:13 pm (5 years ago)

An apple orchard/cider mill without hot sugary donuts??! As a fellow Michigan girl I can tell you that the idea of something like that even existing is almost obscene!

I love your list — and your drive to write a novel. I have faith that you’ll do it. You put it in writing. And you can count on me to devour a copy of it too. :)

October 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm (5 years ago)

See? You get it. It’s sacrilege. If I ever get that novel published, I’ll be sure to send you a copy!

6. Joey @ Big Teeth & Clouds
    October 5, 2010 at 8:22 pm (5 years ago)

I’d like to have my house all perfectly fixed up before I kick the bucket. This is on the list to ensure I live a long long time. There’s lots of work to do.

Hope you have a lovely birthday and enjoy those new jeans!

October 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm (5 years ago)

Yeah. A perfectly clean house should be on my real list, ’cause I never quite get there either. thank you for the birthday wishes!

7. Andi
    October 5, 2010 at 10:18 pm (5 years ago)

I have faith in you. If anyone can do these things, it’s you!!

Have I told you lately you’re my hero? (Especially if you get that laundry done. Whew!)

8. Alexandra
    October 6, 2010 at 9:06 am (5 years ago)

My list is much like yours, Amber, and my struggles much as yours.

I’m working hard to get my writing in order: I have notebooks scattered all over the place, and nothing in solidness.

Just something I know I have to do.

Always enjoy your sincere, heartfelt writing…truly, I do.

9. Florida Girl Meets the Midwest
    October 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm (5 years ago)

I am turning 33 this year. My teenage self would have sworn I would have had all three of my babies and living in a mansion on the beach. Fast forward to the future where I finally got married a year ago and live in a cramped condo in Ohio. Hmmm…

PS I realized yesterday that I have no jeans that actually fit me.

10. Katy
    October 7, 2010 at 5:06 pm (5 years ago)

Pretty sweet mini Bucket list!