Seven Reasons To Have Kids Young.

by Amber on September 21, 2010

These days, lots of women are waiting until they’re in their 30s (or 40s)  to have children. For some, it’s a career decision, for others, a timing issue. And, let’s face it, many of us don’t find the guy we want to be our Baby Daddy until a little later in the game. I myself waited until the ripe old age of 33 to pop out my  first (and so far only) daughter. I thought I was smart to put it off, but in hindsight? I wish I had taken that leap a little sooner. And here are seven reasons why.

You have way more energy —Back in the day, I could work for 12 hours, go to class and have a few beers with friends before finally hitting the hay in the wee hours of the morning. And when my alarm went off? I could rise and shine, none the worse for wear. And now? After a long night of walking the floor with Tori, I look like Frankenstein’s bride. Not pretty, folks.

You don’t know what you’re missing—Brian and I had ten long years to get used to luxuries like spontaneous Target trips, lazy weekend mornings and hours and hours of free time. So when Tori came along? The adjustment was, well, difficult. If we had made the switch from young married couple to tired parents earlier, we wouldn’t feel the loss of our freedom quite so much.

You’re used to being broke—I don’t know about you, but I spent most of my 20s being seriously broke. Once I got to my 30s? I was usually only slightly broke—and could even afford the occasional vacation. But now that there’s Tori, I’m back to being seriously broke (and it kind of sucks). Day care is expensive, yo.

Your body bounces back faster (or so I hear)—I’ve always yo yo-ed a bit, but back then, it was way easier to get off. Now, my metabolism creeps along like an old lady using a walker. It’s 17 months later, and I’m just now getting back into my pre-pregnancy jeans. Not exactly record time.

You’re less likely to get all those “childhood diseases”—This is just a theory, but I’m guessing the closer you are to your childhood years, the more likely it is that you’ve recently  had whatever vicious virus is going around. I, on the other hand, only  have to hear the phrase “stomach flu” to start puking my guts out.

Your body is way less creaky—Child-rearing? Is hard work. Your body is part jungle gym, part ladder and all support system. You’re constantly getting down on the floor, only to pop back up to chase a run away child. Then there’s the endless picking up and putting down. And the twirling, swirling and zerberting. Fun chores, to be sure, but when your knees are already getting crabby? There are times you feel more like a crotchety grandma than a young mom.

You’re less needed at work—Now, this might seem offensive, but think about it. The closer you are to the bottom of the ladder, the more likely it is that your tasks can afford to wait a day or two. Which is a good thing, believe me. Because when they can’t, and you get one of those nasty childhood diseases? You end up working from your couch, puke bucket at your feet. Again, not pretty.

I could go on, but I’m starting to feel like I should go ahead and apply for my AARP card, so I think I’ll stop while I’m ahead. Now it’s your turn. What do you think is the best age to have kids?

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Tricia September 21, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I have got to say, I agree with you completely. See, I was a bit younger when I had my first (I was 24, but only 5 days away from turning 25 the day my son was born). But we have waited, and now our second is due with my being 29 and much closer to 30. I’ve only recently realized that I want a BIG family with at least 4-5 kids. I feel like, although I started relatively early I waited too long in between kids, which is another issue in and of itself. All in all, the younger you are the more energy you have; and you have more option when it comes to growing your family. So cheers to you for a great post!
Tricia recently posted..Why I can’t watch “Bringing Home Baby” anymore

Amber September 22, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks. It was written from a place of deep exhaustion…

sara@domesticallychallenged September 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Well, since I was married at 18, and we had our kids when I was 22 and 26, I have to agree on these! We always say we are glad we had them when we did!
sara@domesticallychallenged recently posted..PINT

Amber September 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

Yeah, that kinda rocks. Although at 22, I was pretty much a train wreck, so it wouldn’t have been a particularly good thing.

Elona September 21, 2010 at 11:49 pm

One more reason for me to stick to feline children I guess.

Amber September 22, 2010 at 11:05 am

Cleaning litter boxes is definitely less traumatizing than changing an explosive diaper…

Carpet Cleaners Rock September 22, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I’d rather clean a diaper than clean up after an exploding dog.

Kathy September 22, 2010 at 12:06 am

My mom was 26 when I was born and she says that was too young. My dad was 33 and he says the same thing. I was 21 when I had my first kid and let me tell you, I was not nearly old enough to be having a baby!

So… I think the perfect age to have kids is a year or two older than you had your first. LOL
Kathy recently posted..Writers Workshop- Joe Cool

Amber September 22, 2010 at 11:05 am

I think it’s definitely an individual thing. What’s right for me wouldn’t be right for you and so on and so forth.

Las Vegas Mama September 22, 2010 at 2:53 am

You hit the nail on the head. I had my first child at 30, and man do I regret not doing it earlier. Why? Because its awesome and my life would have been so much fuller with kids in it! Plus, all the stuff you mentioned above LOL.
Las Vegas Mama recently posted..I Am A Celebrity

Amber September 22, 2010 at 11:04 am

Amen. Although I just wasn’t ready before…if I had had my kid in my 20s, I probably would’ve misplaced her in the grocery store or something.

BalancingMama (Julie) September 22, 2010 at 8:50 am

I turned 30 one month after Amelia was born… not sure if that is “young” or “old” in this scenario. But I do agree with you, especially about the job – I’m still somewhat mourning the loss of my title and salary. I fought for my promotion for a year, finally getting it only 2 months before maternity leave. Then I decided to leave and work part-time from home. I wish I’d never had that title & salary… I’ll always feel like I went backwards. And that I let something good go too quickly.

Amber September 22, 2010 at 11:03 am

Still, the work you’re doing is very important. And you can build yourself back up later…at least that’s the theory, right?

Kelly September 25, 2010 at 12:14 am

You forgot one — you get to have the house to yourself while you’re still young enough to enjoy it.
Kelly recently posted..Now- not later

Amber September 25, 2010 at 10:20 am

Yeah, yeah. Rub it in. ;-)