Old Navy Boycott Over a Onesie? Please.

by Amber on September 23, 2010

It’s no secret that I had a hard time breastfeeding. In fact, calling it a “hard time” is pretty much the understatement of the year. Not only was I was battling PPD, but Tori hated boobs. HATED them. Which meant that the both of us spent about 90 percent of our days (and nights) crying.

When my husband broke down and begged me to stop being so hard on myself, I knew something had to change. So I made the decision to bottle feed. And Internet? It was one of the most difficult things I’ve ever done.

Now, I know breastfeeding mamas say they don’t get any support. That the establishment is practically forcing formula down their throats. But speaking as a mother who formula fed? I have to tell you, I found the opposite to be true.

The moment anyone found out that I had “chosen” to formula feed, they felt it was their duty to lecture me on the evils of formula. I was told that I was endangering my baby’s health. That she would have allergies, suffer from asthma, be plagued with a low IQ and grow three heads. Even those who stayed silent made their disapproval known with loud sighs and tightened lips.

You think whipping out a boob in public is frowned upon? Try feeding a three month old a bottle in the middle of a mall.

So when I heard that many mommy bloggers are calling for a boycott of Old Navy over a supposedly pro-formula onesie? My first instinct was to click over to their site and buy ten.

The Old Navy Onesie responsible for the boycott drama

The Old Navy Onesie responsible for the boycott drama

Not because I have a problem with breastfeeding. On the contrary, I still feel guilty about my inability to do so. And if I ever have another child? I will do my best to breastfeed again. I know “breast is best.” And so does every single mom who “chooses” to formula feed.

I also know that the formula industry has massive advertising budgets. And that they don’t need any help publicizing their wares. But, this Formula-Powered onesie? Is not the problem. It’s just a onesie. One that might make a guilt-ridden formula feeding mama smile.

I mean, come on. Do you really think the sight of a baby wearing this rather innocuous onesie would be enough to make someone change her mind about breastfeeding? If so, then she has bigger problems (like the lack of a spine).

Give Old Navy a break. Save your rage for transgressions that deserve it—like the pimping of formula to pregnant women by their OBs.

Because a $5 onesie? Is not worth getting so pissed off about.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go give Old Navy some of my hard earned cash.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

C @ Kid Things September 23, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I have 3 kids, the youngest 2 have been (and in one case still are) breastfed, yet I still don’t understand why some get so upset at the choices of others. A child is getting fed and nourished and loved, that’s all that matters. I would argue to save the frustration for those that aren’t. Also, that shirt is actually really cute, but can you just imagine the bucket of worms you’d open yourself up to by taking your kid out in public in that? I’d be afraid of being stoned to death.
C @ Kid Things recently posted..Done as Done Can Be

Amber September 23, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Me too. WOmen can be so mean to each other. I just wish we could all agree to respect each other’s choices.

AmyBlam September 23, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Oh, I hear you. I didn’t breast feed and you would have thought I was dancing naked under the moonlight sacrificing children and chickens.
I always find it funny how some women are so “supportive” of other women until they do something they don’t agree with.
I couldn’t breast feed as I was in the hospital drugged for a week after and then I was all screwed up from leaking spinal fluid. But still, there are people that still give me shit about it and bratchild is nine.

Amber September 23, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Yep. It never ends. But since I was formula fed and am both smart and reasonably allergy free (and in possession of only one head) I think she’ll be fine.

alicia September 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm

All we can do is try. Some babes get it, some don’t. My second just didn’t. She came home from the hospital hoarse from all the screaming because she was starving. Then I cried more than her for the next 4 months. The stubborn thing wouldn’t take a single nipple. We tried them all. And then we had to starve her for over 24 hours and feed her breast milk from a dropper. I GET IT!!

Amber September 24, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Ouch. That sounds like torture. But I’m glad I have your support.

Elona September 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Ok, seriously, it sounds like you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t! Is it better to let a kid starve than feed him or her formula? Because that’s what’s going to happen if someone can’t devote 24 hours to breastfeeding a baby who does NOT want a boob because of a job.

Inform. Encourage. Support and then if it still doesn’t work LET IT DROP.

(I think some women have to validate their decision to keep breast feeding a baby who clearly does NOT want to by picking on those moms who take a different route. I mean no one goes after the breast feeders saying “What do you mean you STARVE your child if she won’t take breast milk?!”

Amber September 24, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Too bad the breast feeding nazis aren’t listening to you right now, because you’re right.

Tiffany@Lattes&Life September 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Preach it sister!

kim September 24, 2010 at 10:04 am

Take it from a mom who had breast cancer and was completely unable to breastfeed due to a mastectomy, I was grateful for formula. Otherwise, he would not have been able to eat at all. And even though all the nurses knew this when I gave birth, they still sent in the lactation nurses to make me feel even more guilty about my plight. To this day, I still get upset about how they told me I shouldn’t have gotten pregnant if I couldn’t breastfeed. And to think I still made the effort I did on those SFH projects later :)

Pollyanna September 24, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Are you freakin’ kidding me? They seriously tore you down? I think it’s a miracle you were still able to have a baby after a bout with breast cancer. And I applaud you for doing so.
Pollyanna recently posted..Ummmmm- No Thanks

kim September 24, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Ha! ha! I wish I was kidding. We made sure the doctors and hospital administrators were aware of the self-righteous nurses. Thankfully, they were banned from my room for the rest of my stay. I have to say that even though he was bottle-fed, my son is making straight A’s in school. By their account, if I was able to breastfeed, he might have been a genius :)

Amber September 24, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Dang, you mean, because my mom fed me formula, I have been robbed of my genius status? That sucks. In all seriousness, I’m sorry that happened to you. Those women should have been forced to return to your room and kiss your feet in apology. Stupid bitches.

Jen E @ mommablogsalot September 24, 2010 at 10:26 am

I breastfed both my kids but I am well aware how challenging it can be sometimes – it’s so important to support each other, rather than tear each other down! GREAT post!
Jen E @ mommablogsalot recently posted..10 things- a wishlist for the fall season

Amber September 24, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Thanks. That’s what I hoped to get across. That we just need to support each other. The rest of the world will tear us down – we don’t need to help it.

Pollyanna September 24, 2010 at 12:35 pm

My kids got a little of both. I pumped as much as my body would produce for eight weeks (my entire maternity leave) and bottle fed them the breast milk. When what was frozen started to get low, we started mixing it with formula and eventually weaned them off the breast milk entirely at three or four months. I don’t look down on women whipping it out in public nor do I care if they pull out a bottle. As long as baby gets all happy and makes that sweet sucking noise with their eyes closed – I love watching babies eat like that.
Pollyanna recently posted..Ummmmm- No Thanks

Amber September 24, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Exactly. Especially when they make those little cooing noises. I love that. Ouch. My ovaries just twinged.

holly September 24, 2010 at 8:14 pm

GREAT POST. I agree completely.
holly recently posted..Happy Friday

Amber September 24, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I just think we all need to support each other no matter what. Being a mom is HARD. We don’t need to have to worry about the fury of our peers on top of everything else.

Kat September 24, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Hear! Hear! It makes me sad that people would boycott this onesie. Like you said, most formula mom’s don’t choose to do so. Breastfeeding does not always work out. And that is just fine. I think its….well, lame….that those boycotting women look down upon the formula feeders.

Amber September 25, 2010 at 10:24 am

I think we should boycott their boycott. Although I think they already won. The onesies are gone from their site.

Cheryl @ Mommypants September 25, 2010 at 12:21 am

Been there, sister. Been there. STILL feel guilty about having to FF my 1st two – and they’re 6 1/2 and 5. That being said, yes, some of the formula brands do some pretty shifty marketing so I get why some women are hypersensitive. But boycotting over a onesie? Please. The reality is some women have breastfeeding issues (for myriad reasons) and formula feed. And if they want their kid to have a fun onesie? Why not? There’s no shame in it. No shame at all.

Amber September 25, 2010 at 10:20 am

You got that right. It’s pretty hypocritical if you ask me. But…everyone’s got to have something to bitch about, I guess.

MommyLisa September 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I was fortunate that after three ROUGH years of trying to even get pregnant and two miscarriages….I had it EASY once I got pregnant and tried to breastfeed. That part worked on me. I felt VERY lucky and always when people would remark how EASY my pregnancy was or how SIMPLE I made breastfeeding seem I would chuckle. Because getting there was where I had paid my dues.

No one should worry about what anyone else does or is choosing to do…

Get OVER yourselves.

Basically Amber…I agree with you! Cheers to whatever the baby GETS to eat. At least these babies are not starving.

Amber September 26, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Right on. A fed baby is a happy baby, regardless of what he or she is eating. I just wish the breastfeeding nazis agreed.