I Am Not a Grizzly.

Sarah Palin is famous for coining the term “Mama Grizzlies.”  According to her, Mama Grizzlies are women who protect their children at any cost. Who fight for their liberty, fight off evil-doers and guard them from all harm.

And that’s great. I can relate.

But a grizzly bear? That just seems kind of… obvious to me. Inelegant, if you will.

Grizzlies rely on their sheer bulk to deter their enemies. One smack from their oversized paws is all it takes to take down most threats. And if that fails? They have a mouthful of giant teeth to rip their opposers to shreds.

I am not big. I am not all that (physically) strong. At not quite 5’4, I am threatening to no one.

But I am still a force to be reckoned with.

I am smart. Wiley. I can be cunning when I need to be—even manipulative.

I am strategic. I form alliances with like-minded people, and together we take down our common enemies.

I am stealthy. Rather than blundering through forests, trampling all  in my path, I step quietly. I watch and wait, striking only when the moment is right.

But if you go after my daughter—or anyone else who is near and dear to me? You will suffer my wrath, and it will not be pretty.

I am not a Mama Grizzly. I am a Lioness.

Lioness

Cross me at your peril.

10 Comments on I Am Not a Grizzly.

1. Phyllis
    September 9, 2010 at 10:16 pm (5 years ago)

Woohoo! Couldn’t have described it any better! Glad I get to hang out in YOUR pride!!

September 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm (5 years ago)

Wouldn’t have it any other way.

2. Jen
    September 10, 2010 at 8:06 am (5 years ago)

I LOVED this post. I am totally the same way.

September 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm (5 years ago)

We are mommies, hear us ROOOAAAR!

3. alicia
    September 10, 2010 at 8:54 am (5 years ago)

I have to say, I’m not a big girl myself at 5 foot tall. But when little man was beat up at school the first thought that popped in my head was I wanted to go in for the kill and I imagined myself like a bear with sharp claws. True, raw emotions. Thankfully I came to my senses. But why couldn’t I have thought of myself as a pretty lioness? :)

September 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm (5 years ago)

Lionesses are definitely prettier. ALthough it’s okay to be a bear sometimes too.

4. SaucyB
    September 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm (5 years ago)

ROAR! Love it – you are fierce girl, in every way!

5. Erin
    December 1, 2010 at 8:46 pm (5 years ago)

I love this post – very well written *as always*

A lioness is a very good likeness for you…

6. Linda Hunt
    June 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Amber;
    I love this comment. I am s much into lioness at this time and all of their characterics and attributes. We as women can learn from nature how to protect 0ur young, how to be a sisterhood of women and together we can change our world and communities. We are strong, dangerous, alert and beautiful at the same time, together we can take down any enemy, we a force to be reckoned with. I love it!!
    Have you had the opportunity to read the book “Lioness Arising” Wake up and chage your world! This wonderful discover of us and how we can relate and learn for the lioness is by Lisa Bevere. You will love this book, it will encourage you. I am in this season imparting to women to rise up and take their rightful place as stong and confident women. I would love to hear more from you. It’s time to ROAR!!
    Thanks,