Age is Only a Number. Right?

In a little over two weeks, I will turn 35. Which, on the surface, is no big deal. It’s not 40. Or 50. Just…35.

I will officially be in my mid-30s. And a “high-risk” pregnancy (if I were to decide to subject myself to that again). But I won’t be over the hill—or even at its summit. In fact, assuming I take after my mom’s side of the family, I will probably live to be 90 or so—meaning I’ve got another ten years before I even start rolling down the slope toward old age and death.

And I? Have always made fun of people who are sensitive about their age. This past December, when my husband turned 35 and was mildly bothered by it, I told him to “get over it” in no uncertain terms. Yeah. I’m a peach.

But Internet? I am bothered. And not just a little bit.

Thirty five feels old. Old, I tell you.

This morning, while analyzing my face in the mirror, I noticed the start of a new wrinkle. One of those laugh lines—at least I think that’s what they call them. You know the ones I’m talking about. The grooves that extend in an arc between your nose and your jaw? The ones that eventually become engraved in your face, evident whether you’re laughing or no? Yeah. I have one of those.

What’s next? The collapsing of the skin under my chin into the jowly goodness so many older people sport?  The very thought makes me want to cry.

And? And I have white hairs. Not gray. White.

How the f*&^ did this happen?

I don’t feel old. On the contrary, I’m just now starting to feel like an adult. One capable of paying bills on time, hanging laundry in closets and raising a daughter to be something other than a wild animal. I am not yet ready to be deemed “middle aged.”

I think I just need a good moisturizer. And maybe some Botox? No, I would never do that (I don’t think).

But then, I never thought I’d have a kid either. So I guess you should never say never. Or at least I shouldn’t.

Anybody have any anti-aging tips for me? Or a good moisturizer to recommend? Or some compliments to dish out? I’m not feeling picky.

35 Comments on Age is Only a Number. Right?

1. C @ Kid Things
    September 24, 2010 at 9:49 pm (5 years ago)

I turned 31 this year and I already have highlights of white hairs all over my head.

I’m usually OK with my age, until I start to think about it. Or when I think back to that time when I was 17, which was… wait, how long ago? It’s really been 14 years since high school? Really? That’s when it gets me.

September 25, 2010 at 10:23 am (5 years ago)

I know. I was having a conversation yesterday about the time I spent as an exchange student…which I realized was 20 years ago. Twenty! That’s when it hit me.

2. Elona
    September 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm (5 years ago)

Yeah, I’m old. In a dead end job and with a business that makes no money. And I can’t even BEGIN to think about children. Go me.

September 25, 2010 at 10:22 am (5 years ago)

Your business is pure awesomeness, whether it’s making money or not. You have a lot to be proud of! Zuckuss wouldn’t want the competition anyway.

3. C
    September 24, 2010 at 11:36 pm (5 years ago)

Um, yeah, its kinda a milestone, but then every year is, isn’t it? … 34 was the last year of your early 30s, 33 was that year in the song that said you were supposed to have kids…etc., etc. The thing about time is that it is relative. (ahem, that’s einstein, not me.) Time passes, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. But look at the people in your life that keep you young and spry! Look at all the things you’ve accomplished, lessons learned, wisdom you can pass on … and all of this, plus you get to play with toys at Christmas and run around the yard (and apparently the city) and plant flowers and get licked til you’re shiny and laughing by a dog or a cat or two. The blossoming of you continues, no matter the age, each morning you get up and outta bed and live your life earning those laugh lines. Congrats on another year!

September 25, 2010 at 10:21 am (5 years ago)

This was gorgeous, lady. Happy birthday to you too! Wish I could be in London celebrating with you.

• C
        September 25, 2010 at 7:49 pm (5 years ago)

remind me I said this in about two weeks, k? :) I wish you could be there too. I really, really really really really wish it!

September 26, 2010 at 8:51 pm (5 years ago)

Consider yourself reminded.

4. SaucyB
    September 25, 2010 at 9:21 am (5 years ago)

I know being 36 is bothering me because it means I am distinctly closer to being 40 than thirty. But the weird part? I still feel like and think of myself of as being 30. I suppose I am still fighting growing up completely a little.

September 25, 2010 at 10:19 am (5 years ago)

Me too. Which I think is okay. Supposedly, you’re only as old as you feel, right?

• Erica
      September 26, 2010 at 11:39 am (5 years ago)

There is no way you are 36!!! You look like a kid IRL!

September 26, 2010 at 8:48 pm (5 years ago)

Ahem. Turning 35, not 36. Don’t age me more than I already am! Thanks so much for the compliment, though!

5. Kelly
    September 25, 2010 at 10:13 am (5 years ago)

I was fine with aging until I turned 32. Somehow, when I thought about turning 30, it never occurred to me that I’d continue the turning … 31, 32, hyperventilate.

Now I’m 33 and will be 34 in two months. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’ll continue to age but as long as I’m aging, I’m alive. At this point, that seems like a pretty good deal.

As far as not looking your age, I suggest water and moisturizer and sunscreen and lots of rest. Good luck!

September 25, 2010 at 10:18 am (5 years ago)

Yep, that’s what I tell myself. 35 is better than dead! Much, much better. I’m with you on the first three, but as for lots of rest? If that’s the secret, I’ll be looking 50 next month. 😉

6. one cluttered brain
    September 25, 2010 at 11:12 am (5 years ago)

I say along with everybody else you are only as old as you feel.
    Some boy that likes my 11 year old daughter thought i was my daughter’s older sister. I’m not sure WHAT he was trying to do with that statement. But it made me feel young anyway.
    Every now and then someone will say that to me, and *sigh* I feel so young.

Moisturizer? oil of olay has some pretty good moisturizers.
    You are beautiful lady! 😉

September 26, 2010 at 8:56 pm (5 years ago)

That is a nice thing to hear! Take the compliments where you can get ’em, that’s what I always say.

September 25, 2010 at 4:54 pm (5 years ago)

Yeah, I’m right behind you. I’ll be nearing that age soon. Yikes. Wherever did the time go

September 26, 2010 at 8:54 pm (5 years ago)

I don’t know where the time went, but if you find it can you tell me where it’s hiding? Thanks.

8. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    September 25, 2010 at 5:01 pm (5 years ago)

Um, I’m freaking KILL to be 35 again. You’re young, my friend. I had my first child 3 weeks before I turned 35. So get over yourself. 😉

• Cheryl @ Mommypants
      September 25, 2010 at 5:02 pm (5 years ago)

That would be, “I’D freaking KILL to be 35 again.” Apparently my old age has affected my typing skills..

September 26, 2010 at 8:53 pm (5 years ago)

Yep, I’m sure I’ll look back at this post some years down the road, and go “you idiot!” I’m okay with it. Most of the time. Really.

9. alicia
    September 25, 2010 at 6:32 pm (5 years ago)

Hmm… wish I had amazing tips, but my theory is either you are one of the lucky ones or you’re not. A little depressing, but I believe true. And I didn’t think 35 was that bad. This is the problem… in 2 years when you have more wrinkles you’ll look back and think you looked great at 35 and wish you enjoyed it more. Trust me, I speak from experience. And I also have recently started believing that women who have a few lines actually have a different kind of beauty that those hot 19 year olds don’t. Not sure how to explain it. Maybe it’s years of life written on their face. It’s not shallow superficial beauty, but rather deep real, meaningful beauty. Not sure I’m making sense, so I’ll stop now. And btw, 35 isn’t old. It’s a fabulous age to be! Enjoy it.

September 26, 2010 at 8:52 pm (5 years ago)

Yeah, I wouldn’t really want to be 19 again. My thirties are treating me pretty well, overall. Just felt like whining. 😉

10. Tricia
    September 26, 2010 at 12:17 am (5 years ago)

Okay, so you’re YOUNG. And you’re youthful, beautiful, intelligent, hilarious. You’ve got it all goin’ on, girl! And the whole Botox thing? Don’t do it…it’s botulism. But I, myself, would totally think about a boob lift. After I get done nursing all my kids, these things are going to resemble some nasty, flappy, tube-like pancake “things”. So I guess what I’m saying is, do whatever the hell makes you feel good even if it’s a small amount of some old-school plauge. I’m going all 1960’s free love on you now. Which means my pregnant brain needs to go to bed. Is this comment even making sense?….

September 26, 2010 at 8:50 pm (5 years ago)

I think you’re my new favorite person. Beautiful and hilarious? Aww, shucks. A girl at work had a boob lift…I would totally do it if i could.

11. Las Vegas Mama
    September 26, 2010 at 3:52 am (5 years ago)

Oooooohhhhh CRAP!!!!! I just realized I am turning THIRTY FOUR in one month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Amber! LOL OMG. Seriously, I also feel like I just became an adult in the not too distant past. I really want to have more kids, but by the time that I give birth to one I will probably already be 35!! I need to get crackin’! I want a lot of kids, so how in the world am I going to manage that when I am over 35!?! Ok I need to remind myself that I am still 33 for another month. :/ whew. I think I am ok now. Maybe.

September 26, 2010 at 8:49 pm (5 years ago)

Hey, some 60-year-old lady had a kid not too long ago, right? You’ve got plenty o’ time.

12. Heather
    September 27, 2010 at 12:02 pm (5 years ago)

I completely agree. I’d actually pay to TRADE with you! I turned 37 at the beginning of September and I don’t have the luxury of even saying I’ve ever been married and I don’t have any children to show for my time yet.

I don’t feel old and yet somehow society has already started throwing me out with yesterday’s newspapers.

As far as the laugh lines go, treasure them! They are the badge of a life well- and happily-lived!

September 27, 2010 at 8:10 pm (5 years ago)

You are far from old! And heck, marriage and children are not the only things that make life worthwhile. You are a completely awesome woman. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

13. Florida Girl Meets the Midwest
    September 27, 2010 at 1:04 pm (5 years ago)

Someone once told me I would either get laugh lines or worry lines, one or the other, but I would be getting lines either way. I guess I should go with the former and be grateful.

September 27, 2010 at 8:09 pm (5 years ago)

Laugh lines win, every time. I’d much rather laugh than fret!

14. Pollyanna
    September 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm (5 years ago)

Some wrinkles should be celebrated! Laugh lines & crows feet are awesome because it means you have experienced enough joy in life to smile & laugh on many occassions. So stop fretting over those. That said, if you’re still looking for a good moisturizer, you should try Mary Kay – they have the best anti aging products for your dollar.

September 27, 2010 at 8:09 pm (5 years ago)

I’ll take laugh lines over worry lines, that’s for sure (although I think I have some of those too). They don’t really bother me much – just every once in a while.

15. Linda
    October 1, 2010 at 11:20 am (5 years ago)

You my dear friend are not old. I can say this because I just turned 38 (ugh), and that would mean I would have to admit that I’m old too. We’re just more experienced. We don’t think and fee like we did in jr high and high school, meaning having a pimple now means a little embarassement (and now we know how to hide it or get rid of it), and then it was the end of the world as we know it.

I was just thinking too that it’s been 20 years since we went to Russia. Insane right? I just applied for a new passport and I was a baby at 17 when I applied for my last one. 20 years, and in some ways it seems like only yesterday, but in others, yeah it’s been quite awhile.

So try not to let it get to you, is after all just a number. You look great, life is pretty good (after all you have an amazing husband, and the most precious daughter). And I agree you are beautiful, whitty, funny, extremely intelligent, and a great friend.

So my advice is take some time to smell the roses and enjoy your birthday, don’t dread it.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Age is Only a Number. Right?

1. […] week from today, I will be 35. I could pretend that doesn’t bother me, but that would be a lie. By now, my teenage self was sure I’d have written a novel, made my first million, sailed […]