A Masterful Title.

by Amber on September 15, 2010

Welcome to Day Three of the Back to Blogging event over at The SITS Girls. Today’s assignment was the simplest of all. It just asked us to re-post something with a title we love. Now, I thought about posting one of my most SEO-friendly headlines, or one that regularly lands searchers on my blog, but instead I give you…

Yo Gabba Gabba: I’m Not Drinking The Kool-Aid.

Okay, guys. I admit it. I’m still relatively new to this whole parenting thing, and so may not fully appreciate the wonder that is a television show that holds a rug rat’s interest for a whole thirty minutes. But Yo Gabba Gabba? Creeps me the heck out.

I mean, dudes, those characters are scary. Just look at ‘em:

Tell me how Muno, the six-foot tall dildo, is supposed to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside? If you ask me, Brobee looks like something straight out of a technicolor nightmare, as does Toodee. The only one who gets any cute points at all, in my humble opinion, is Foofa, and from what I’ve seen, she doesn’t get as much screen time as some of the others.

And as for DJ Lance? Well, picking on him is just too easy. So I won’t. Besides, you’ve got to respect a grown man who isn’t afraid to run around in an orange jumpsuit.
Now, I’ve heard that the music is what makes the show so attractive to young and old alike, but for the most part, the songs they sing make me want to shoot myself in the ear so I never have to hear them again. Especially this one:

After I watch this, there’s no party in my tummy. Maybe a little vomit in my mouth, but that’s not the same thing. And sure, it is pretty catchy (I’m sure I’ll be singing it until I want to bash my head in), but that’s not always a good thing.
Nope, for shows featuring culturally relevant music, I think my house is going to rely on good old Sesame Street.

How can you not laugh at that?

I’m sure I’ve outraged a good number of you (this Yo Gabba Gabba thing seems to have achieved crazy cult status), and maybe have even tempted a few of you to hit the un-follow button, but I hope we can still be friends.

Who knows. Maybe a few months from now, someone will have forced the magic koolaid down my throat, and I’ll be wanting Muno to be my daughter’s first boyfriend. But for now? I’d like to keep them as far from me and mine as humanly possible.

I won’t lose my official Mommy Card for that, will I?

Back to Blogging is sponsored by  Standards of Excellence, Westar Kitchen and Bath, and Florida Builder Appliances.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Tiffany September 15, 2010 at 9:19 pm

the husband and i were totally against yo gabba gabba when it first came out. everybody is creepy–especially that dj lance rock, but then i realized how awesome the music was. i mean, the roots were on there and i love them. i just think it’s fun. everybody’s tripping on acid, but still fun. :)
Tiffany recently posted..Young love and the art of wooing

Amber September 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Um. Okay. Maybe someday I will revise my opinion. But for now, when I am forbidden from watching my fave HGTV shows because we have to limit her TV viewing, I refuse to sully my eyes with it. But I have been wrong before…

AmyBlam September 15, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Ummm I’ve never watched yo gabber gabber because I find it disturbing. Of course, bratchild was also never allowed to watch Barney for similar reasons.

Amber September 16, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I can’t do Barney either. Why are so many kid’s shows so freaking weird?

Snort September 16, 2010 at 9:06 am

“Tell me how Muno, the six-foot tall dildo, is supposed to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside?” Do we have to draw you a picture? Yeeesh.

Isn’t this suppose to be a family friendly site? Won’t somebody please think of the children?

Now all I can think of Muno is he secretly wanting to do naughty things to SAHM’s.

SaucyB September 16, 2010 at 4:06 pm

hahaha! I didn’t get that show at first either. And you know, I have to admit that now I love it. There’s just something trippy and so kitschy about it. Plus, come on, Jack Black, The Roots and Weezer as guest musicians?

But I will give you this, Muno definitely looks like a Dildo.

Amber September 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I will admit, I sometimes log into their site so “tori” can watch the Jimmy Eat World video, but I stand by my hatred of the show as a whole.

Missy @ Wonder, Friend September 17, 2010 at 3:20 pm

The first time I saw Yo Gabba Gabba and that giant, scary rapper, I checked to see what channel the TV was on. And of course, my son was instantly captivated. I always suspected it, but kids and drug users share a lot of common interests and personality traits. Yo Gabba Gabba is proof.
Missy @ Wonder, Friend recently posted..That’s What She Said

Amber September 19, 2010 at 10:46 am

That, my friend is a good analogy. Life is simpler and much more fun when you’re high, after all (or so I hear).

Charlotte September 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I visited a friend recently and she had Yo Gabba Gabba on for the kids and I swear, I thought I was having an acid trip. What happened to the good ol’ fashioned kids tv programs? Muppets, Sesame Street… I feel like such an old crab when I say this, but they just don’t make ‘em like they used to :) Love that Ricky Gervais/Elmo skit–sooo cute!
Charlotte recently posted..26 is the magic number

Amber September 19, 2010 at 10:51 am

Even Sesame Street isn’t what it used to be, but it’s at least less trippy. I used to think Barney was bad, but I think Yo Gabba Gabba is worse.