Ten Things I Learned at BlogHer.

Last night, I was tired and feeling sappy, so you got the maudlin post. Today, I’m tired and feeling crabby, so you get the real post. And after I write this, I promise to shut up about the whole thing.

So without further ado, I bring you ten things I learned at BlogHer.

Flying to New York City will not magically make you less shy. I had hoped that somewhere between Indianapolis and LaGuardia I’d find my social butterfly wings. I didn’t.

Shyness doesn’t have to be a crippling disease. I, Amber Page, lover of quiet corners and empty spaces, attended parties alone. I introduced myself to countless people. Even made small talk over lunch with strangers. Sure, every one of those activities made me want to throw up (the main reason I left NYC two pounds lighter than I arrived), but I did it.

Most people are ridiculously nice. At one of the above-mentioned parties, I  walked up to Everyday Goddess and Avitable (both of whom are kind of a big deal) and they were super sweet, talking me to far longer than was necessary be polite.

Some people (of both genders) are bitches. Want to feel about six inches tall? Strike up a conversation with someone who can’t be bothered to notice that you exist. Literally (side note: I need to master that blank stare).

Some writing workshops/discussions will inspire you. In particular, the session moderated by Maggie Dammit (and other equally magnificent women whose names I don’t remember) made me feel like I could change the world.

Some workshops will not. And nothing more needs to be said about that.

The sight of 2,000 bloggers gathered in one spot to celebrate their collective awesomeness is indeed awesome. The sight of 50 people between you and the toilet you so badly need is not.

Getting free stuff can be addicting. I went to New York City determined not to fall prey to the siren call of swag. But when Mommy’s Still Fabulous showed me all her loot? My inner Material Girl took over (but it all fit in my suitcase, so clearly I remained in control).

I will do a lot for a free mattress. I filled out forms. Stretched out on a bed in a public space (wearing a skirt). And, most shocking of all, I let myself be filmed begging for a bed. Because I? Desperately need a mattress. And Tempur-Pedic beds rock. They rock hard (and they’re not even paying me to say that).

I can no longer stay up until 2 a.m. three nights in a row without paying the price. My 11:30 p.m. bedtime is strictly enforced and now I remember why (hold me, Internet. I am exhausted).

So that’s it. The top ten things I learned at BlogHer. What did you learn this weekend?

32 Comments on Ten Things I Learned at BlogHer.

1. Amber
    August 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I so wish I could be there but like you, I am terribly shy. I’d probably clam up and say something stupid like, “So what about those flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz?”

August 9, 2010 at 9:13 pm (5 years ago)

But 90 percent of the people there would be able to follow right along. They’d be like, “weird, huh? They’d come in handy when you need to distract a baby during a diaper change, though.”

2. erica
    August 9, 2010 at 8:27 pm (5 years ago)

I am so glad we got to meet and spend time together! Great recap…
    Now, I need to watch Project Runway and go to sleep… in that order! I am BEAT!

August 9, 2010 at 9:12 pm (5 years ago)

Me too. Although I’ve got to catch up on Top Chef, not Runway…

3. one cluttered brain
    August 9, 2010 at 9:08 pm (5 years ago)

I learned that I can host a Twitter party pretty DARN well!!
    And will do so again!
    Perhaps with bigger and better PRIZES!
    WA-hoo!

August 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm (5 years ago)

I’m glad you had fun! Twitter party throwing is a valuable skill.

4. Marilyn (A Lot of Loves)
    August 10, 2010 at 1:30 am (5 years ago)

I learned that I really need an iPhone or similar phone that would allow me access to email and Twitter while walking around. It was impossible to find or meet up with anyone without one. Sorry I missed you.

August 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm (5 years ago)

I felt the same way. Almost popped out to the Verizon store to get one!

5. Scary Mommy
    August 10, 2010 at 9:22 am (5 years ago)

I was crushed by a few people last year, too. I hope you’ll go next year- and if you do? We’ll have to meet up. I’m so sad I missed you!

August 10, 2010 at 3:48 pm (5 years ago)

Absolutely. I think, if I do go next year, it will be easier, knowing what to expect. It was pretty overwhelming!

• Erin
        December 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm (5 years ago)

I have heard SO much about these conferences – it would be such an amazing experience to go to one…

but I think I would be let down terribly by not getting to spend 100000 minutes of ONE ON ONE time that I would want with all of my favorite bloggy friends/ crushes:)

December 23, 2010 at 8:04 am (5 years ago)

It’s really hard to find everyone you want to spend time with. If I go again, I think I’ll do a lot more advance planning. You should totally go to one. It’s fun.

6. Andrea aka Heathen Mom
    August 10, 2010 at 9:24 am (5 years ago)

Wonderful review of the conference. I totally understand what you mean by some sessions will not inspire you. That is an excellent way to put it. I was trying to find a way to say that for my post I’m writing without dwelling on the subject, lol!

This was my second year attending BlogHer. I will probably go again next year, but I will have to remind myself that my goals for BlogHer are different compared to other conferences :)

August 10, 2010 at 3:48 pm (5 years ago)

It was certainly a lot different than I expected. I think you’re right. It’s a matter of re-prioritizing.

7. Loukia
    August 10, 2010 at 10:23 am (5 years ago)

Yeah, some people – namely, like…2 – were not as nice as I thought they’d be and that was kind of crushing… however, everyone else was awesome and I had a blast. :) Great re-cap!

August 10, 2010 at 3:46 pm (5 years ago)

I was surprised and amazed by the amount of awesomeness around. Made me life much happier!

8. Danielle
    August 10, 2010 at 10:28 am (5 years ago)

Couldnt agree more. The walking up to a stranger and being friendly is MORTIFYING even if you have friends or aren’t totally solo. Scary stuff. So awkward.

I found the worst was when I asked to sit next to someone at a seminar and they were like ‘sure go ahead’.. and then immediately turned their back to me and chose to look at the lack of person in the other seat next to them. Grrr..

August 10, 2010 at 3:46 pm (5 years ago)

Oof. That’s no good at all. I’d like to think that maybe some people were just overwhelmed and not trying to be rude? Who knows.

9. SaucyB
    August 10, 2010 at 9:18 pm (5 years ago)

I give you so much credit for pushing yourself to mingle. That situation would be intimidating for even someone is an extrovert by nature, so big props to you for putting yourself out there.

August 11, 2010 at 5:13 pm (5 years ago)

I like to pretend to be an extrovert sometimes. It pays to take a walk on the wild side.

10. lizriz
    August 11, 2010 at 12:37 am (5 years ago)

Amber, I’m so glad you came up and said hi! When I went to my first BlogHer, I did the same thing, and it really is a great way to meet new people, even if you hit a couple sour apples sometimes. It sounds like you had a good BlogHer overall, so hooray for that!

August 11, 2010 at 5:13 pm (5 years ago)

Since I’m too disorganized to actually remember to program numbers into my cell, being brave was the only way to go. Worked out well though – glad I met you!

11. Lolli
    August 11, 2010 at 3:03 pm (5 years ago)

Amen! I think I might have finally recovered from the lack of sleep that I suffered before and during BlogHer. But it was SO worth it.

August 11, 2010 at 5:12 pm (5 years ago)

I’m finally feeling better today too. It only took three days…

12. Alexandra
    August 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm (5 years ago)

Amber, I knew your accounts of BlogHer would be very special, but this? This is beyond the posts I”ve read.

Your posting on this is something that is so relatable to me.

That’s why I keep coming back, b/c I feel you “get ” me.

It;’s said that we follow those bloggers we feel we could be friends with in real life, that is you, to me.

August 11, 2010 at 5:12 pm (5 years ago)

Oh, we would totally be friends in real life. Bloggy friends are real!

13. Alexandra
    August 11, 2010 at 3:12 pm (5 years ago)

P.S. Please don’t stop with these posts!!!!!!!!!!!! They are the only real ones for me, everything else is sugar coated.

August 11, 2010 at 5:11 pm (5 years ago)

I’m glad you’re enjoying them…I’m sure there will be more.

14. Kisha Floren
    August 11, 2010 at 5:46 pm (5 years ago)

I didn’t go this year, but I think I learned this weekend that I may not want to….almost every post I’ve read (and there have been a lot) have spoken of the “I’m too good for you” people. I think I’m much too delicate of a flower for that:)

August 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm (5 years ago)

You? A delicate flower? Nah. We’d just have to smash some motherbitching heads together. (love that word).

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Ten Things I Learned at BlogHer.

1. […] asked us to re-post something with a title we love. Now, I thought about posting one of my most SEO-friendly headlines, or one that regularly lands searchers on my blog, but instead I give […]

2. […] August, she impersonated an Important Blogger and ran off to New York City to play. Brian was a little worried she wouldn’t come back, but fortunately her money ran out […]