So, I Have An Idea.

by Amber on August 14, 2010

Internet, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but there are blogging communities out there for just about everyone and everything. Blogging mommies. Working mommies. Vegan mommies. Blogging, working, vegan mommies.

But something’s missing. A community for depressed mommies (and daddies).

I know there are plenty of sites for the general depressed populace.  But that’s not enough. Parents dealing with depression face special challenges. Challenges that are hard to talk about. Problems that have no easy solution. And fears. Lots and lots of fears.

Now, I’m feeling just fine right now, but when I hit a bad spot? I have all sorts of questions. Questions like:

• How do you deal with a teething toddler’s screams when your own shrieks of psychic pain are echoing in your head?
  • How do you ask others for help without worrying about being called an unfit parent?
  • How do you explain to your children what’s wrong without making them think it’s their fault?
  • How do you know if you’ve passed on your illness to your child—and how do you forgive yourself if you have?

We need a place where we can share our stories, our fears and our pain. A place where we can get advice, read about the latest news and connect with others. A digital community that’s always available to remind us  that we are not alone.

So I’m starting one. The working title is Parenting While Depressed, but I’m open to suggestions. Right now, I’m hosting it on wordpress.com, but if I’m right, and I’m not the only one who needs this? I’ll go the whole nine yards and get us set up for reals.

But, Internet? I need your help. I can’t do this alone.

I need:

• People willing to post their own stories about parenting while depressed
  • Ideas on what you’d like to see included
  • People to spread the word

Will you help me?

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Alexandra August 14, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I’m there. We’ve talked about this, and I’ve often joked, I have a post ready set and can’t seem to go with it. It’s called, “you try it.”

I’ll save it for you. Yes, I use humor to write of parenting with depression, but it’s humor that has always helped me.

Always.

Just say the word, Amber.

I’m right there for every little thing you need.

Funny, was just thinking about you an hour ago.

Kisha Floren August 15, 2010 at 1:44 am

I’ve so been there. In fact, I think now, as my oldest is about to start kindergarten, is the first time that the good days have outnumbered the bad. I would love to help in any way I can-contributing, publicizing, etc.
Kisha Floren recently posted..Freebie Friday- Follower Appreciation Extravaganza!

Amber August 16, 2010 at 9:16 am

Awesome. I’ll email you!

sara@domesticallychallenged August 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I’d be happy to help you with a story!
sara@domesticallychallenged recently posted..It Comes Naturally

Amber August 16, 2010 at 9:17 am

Great. Now I just have to figure out how this is really going to work.

Pollyanna August 16, 2010 at 11:43 am

Believe it or not, I’m bi-polar (I don’t usually advertise it and I have readers who know me in real like that don’t know so it’s not in my profile either). Writing is one of the ways I handle it. There are some days I have to look really hard for that silver lining, but I usually find it.

I think this is a great idea. I’d write for you. Perhaps some of your followers would appreciate my stories knowing the effort that has to be made to come up with a bright side. And perhaps an occassional lighter, humorous post will help others see past the darkness. If this isn’t something that would fit into your blog or not the direction you’d want to take, I won’t be offended. I just thought I’d throw it out there.
Pollyanna recently posted..Under Construction!

Amber August 16, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Humor is an excellent way of coping with any mental anguish, so absolutely it would be. Consider yourself drafted.

erica August 18, 2010 at 8:45 pm

In the past, my depression has been more of a denial, not knowing I was in it, kind of depression… or one that manifests itself in overexercising and undereating…

It’s hard to see the forest for the trees…

I think you have a great idea here.

Allison @ Alli n Son August 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I’m a little late in commenting but I think this is a wonderful idea. I’d love to guest post or help in any other way.
Allison @ Alli n Son recently posted..Response cached until Thu 19 @ 5:13 GMT (Refreshes in 60 Minutes)

Amber August 19, 2010 at 8:44 am

Great. I posted that last weekend and then quickly realized I had no idea what to do, so I’m going to try and wrap my head around it this weekend and get this thing going!

Petunia June 22, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I should write a book my story’s so long. I’ll shorten it the best I can to save you too many details. I had my 2 Wonderful, perfect, and angelic babies 11 months apart. Got ppd. Took meds. Went nuts and tried to kill myself 1 year pp. I can honestly blame the meds as I’ve never tried to kill myself in the past. Marriage fell apart. We overcame. All is well. Almost a year since the breakdown and we are both depressed again. This time I refuse meds and I’m at a loss at how to snap out of the mommy funk I’m in. Everything you said about being afraid ti talk is right on. Let me know if I can help you somehow. I find helping others helps me.

Amber June 23, 2011 at 8:28 am

Oh lady, I’m sorry you’ve had such an awful time of it! Maybe you could both go see a therapist? Talking helps. A lot. I’ll get that site going soon, I promise. And you know. I’m here if you need to talk.