Internet, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but there are blogging communities out there for just about everyone and everything. Blogging mommies. Working mommies. Vegan mommies. Blogging, working, vegan mommies.
But something’s missing. A community for depressed mommies (and daddies).
I know there are plenty of sites for the general depressed populace. But that’s not enough. Parents dealing with depression face special challenges. Challenges that are hard to talk about. Problems that have no easy solution. And fears. Lots and lots of fears.
Now, I’m feeling just fine right now, but when I hit a bad spot? I have all sorts of questions. Questions like:
- How do you deal with a teething toddler’s screams when your own shrieks of psychic pain are echoing in your head?
- How do you ask others for help without worrying about being called an unfit parent?
- How do you explain to your children what’s wrong without making them think it’s their fault?
- How do you know if you’ve passed on your illness to your child—and how do you forgive yourself if you have?
We need a place where we can share our stories, our fears and our pain. A place where we can get advice, read about the latest news and connect with others. A digital community that’s always available to remind us that we are not alone.
So I’m starting one. The working title is Parenting While Depressed, but I’m open to suggestions. Right now, I’m hosting it on wordpress.com, but if I’m right, and I’m not the only one who needs this? I’ll go the whole nine yards and get us set up for reals.
But, Internet? I need your help. I can’t do this alone.
- People willing to post their own stories about parenting while depressed
- Ideas on what you’d like to see included
- People to spread the word
Will you help me?