Seven Signs You Might Be Too Plugged In.

Do you ever wonder if maybe you’re relying on the internet and its array of addicting toys and tools a little too much? I sure do. Here are ten signs that you might need to unplug:

You see the world through tweet-covered glasses. Ever been out to dinner with your husband and had to fight the urge to pull out your phone and tweet something important like, “Thinking of feeding the waitress my dinner. She is scary skinny.” No? Me neither.

Your google reader  regularly tells you your unread items number in the hundreds. Mine currently says I have more than a thousand posts to read. Now, I love you all. And I want to keep up to date with each and every blogger who visits me (and many who have never heard of me). But, people? This is out of control.

You want to hashtag everything. Everyone knows that twitter hashtags can make the difference between a mediocre tweet and a super funny one. So it’s no wonder that you might want to extend that form of prose to your facebook status updates. But when you start signing birthday cards, “damn, you’re getting old. #dontworryjustkidding” you might have a problem.

You  spend gorgeous summer evenings and beautiful weekend afternoons on the couch with your laptop. I know I was  guilty of this one. Until I figured out that I could take my laptop outside and still get a signal. A firefly show and an active twitter stream? Yes, please.

You have ever excused yourself to go to the restroom so you could check your twitter/facebook/gmail. I’ve been known to just “sneak a peek” while at the grocery store, in the mall—even while in the doctor’s office. But if you find yourself excusing yourself from children’s birthday parties or family dinners, you’ve crossed the line (I haven’t yet).

You know more about what’s going on in the lives of your online friends than with your real life buds. When this starts to happen? It’s time to use your phone to make actual calls, people.

When without internet access, you start to feel twitchy. I’ve never been addicted to drugs, but I think internet withdrawal has some similarities. I know when I couldn’t figure out how to get access while at BlogHer, I started to get a little bug-eyed. And the sense of relief when I finally saw those little bars pop up? Was a little crazy.

You know, I was going to make this a top ten list. But I think I’ve made myself sound pathetic enough, so I’m going to go call my mom instead. While I’m gone, tell me how you know you’re spending too much time online.

43 Comments on Seven Signs You Might Be Too Plugged In.

1. Megan
    August 17, 2010 at 10:53 am (5 years ago)

I think I have a problem. I have wanted to add hashtags into spoken conversation. :/

August 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm (5 years ago)

Me too. That’s what made me think of that one. #lifeisbetterwithhashtags

2. C @ Kid Things
    August 17, 2010 at 10:55 am (5 years ago)

Um… yeah. Hello, my name is C and I am an internet addict.Though, a thousand unread posts?! I think it’s time to mark all as read.

August 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm (5 years ago)

You know, after I read this, I went and did exactly that. I feel much better now.

3. Wendy
    August 17, 2010 at 11:32 am (5 years ago)

Guilty of all seven!

August 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm (5 years ago)

Welcome to the club.

4. Nolie
    August 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm (5 years ago)

Love it! Though I figured out the day I got my netbook that I can get a signal in the backyard. It’s the fear of sunburn that keeps me inside.

August 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm (5 years ago)

That’s what sunscreen is for! The glare might be a problem, though.

5. Amber
    August 17, 2010 at 1:02 pm (5 years ago)

Guilty as charged on six out of seven accounts.

And once the summer evenings run out, I’m in big trouble.

August 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm (5 years ago)

Well, you know. Cold snowy weather almost demands a lot of internet time. Otherwise you might go crazy.

6. Allison @ Alli n Son
    August 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm (5 years ago)

When I start to get stressed by how many blogs I have to read and how many emails I have to respond to. Like physically stresses about it. That’s why I jniw it’s time to unplug. After I get caught up of course.

August 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm (5 years ago)

Yeah. I sometimes want to stick my head in the sand. Instead I usually take the weekend off (speaking of which, I probably won’t be posting this weekend).

7. Nancy C
    August 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm (5 years ago)

Oh yes. Yes I have. My husband says, “You’re not pooping. Get off the phone already.”

He knows me well.

August 18, 2010 at 8:52 am (5 years ago)

“You’re not pooping…” HA! That is too dang funny. Mine hasn’t caught on yet.

August 18, 2010 at 8:51 am (5 years ago)

The sad part is, I could’ve gone on…but last night I unplugged…and watched TV. I’m not sure that’s any better.

8. Missy
    August 17, 2010 at 10:46 pm (5 years ago)

Ha! I frequently think in tweets. Scary. I NEVER thought this could happen to me… Isn’t that what they all say?

August 18, 2010 at 8:51 am (5 years ago)

I never ever thought it would happen to me. In fact there was a time when I thought twitter was stupid. Hard to believe now…

9. Natalie
    August 17, 2010 at 11:15 pm (5 years ago)

#idontknowwhatyouaretalkingabout
    #icantrelate
    #whatistwitter

I’m including this in my Saturday post! Every Saturday I tell my readers about the best posts I’ve come across during the week – this one made me laugh because I totally am guilty of all of these things!

August 18, 2010 at 8:49 am (5 years ago)

Well, thank you! If we can’t laugh at ourselves than what can we laugh at, right?

10. Coma Girl
    August 17, 2010 at 11:37 pm (5 years ago)

Well I thought I might have a problem, but I only have 95 unread blogs in my reader. So clearly I am fine 😉 And #IwoulddieifIhadover1000.

August 18, 2010 at 8:48 am (5 years ago)

I cleared it out last night, but I just looked and I have 160 again. I really need to do some housecleaning I think. #gladyourproblemislessseriousthanmine

11. Alexandra
    August 18, 2010 at 8:51 am (5 years ago)

Is it good or bad that I don’t know what hashtags are for or what they mean?

Seriously, should I know?
    *sigh* going to go google.

12. dusty earth mother
    August 18, 2010 at 11:06 am (5 years ago)

Ouch. Oh, Amber… I’m turning off my computer now.

13. Marylin
    August 20, 2010 at 9:20 am (5 years ago)

I’m guilty of most of them… oh dear!
    It’s not that I go to the restroom to read twitter, it’s just, I might as *well* check while I’m there, right? RIGHT??

August 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm (5 years ago)

Absolutely. I don’t see a problem with that. Nope, not me…’cause then I’d have a problem too!

14. Kate
    August 20, 2010 at 9:26 am (5 years ago)

Actually, I am better than I thought. I do check email and twitter when out and about (obviously, it’s what I’ve got net access on teh phone for!) but I am on the lappy when I could be out.

One of the local playcentres has free wifi so I have been known to take my 4 year old, let her play and tweet at the same time. One time, she said “You’re not going to make me go when the battery runs out this time, are you?!” … but I still did!

I don’t do Google reader – am so glad I don’t. It’s hard enough catching up with Gallery posts every week.

August 20, 2010 at 4:21 pm (5 years ago)

Snort. That’s what being a blogging mom is all about, isn’t it?

15. Jenn @ Gaffney's Gabs
    August 20, 2010 at 1:32 pm (5 years ago)

OMG you hit the nail on the head on so many points there. Wow, I know I’m totally that bad with my google reader, I think it’s lost count of my unreads, it’s ridiculous! Glad I’m not alone.

August 20, 2010 at 4:18 pm (5 years ago)

I think we need to start a bloggy support group. :-)

16. Betsy @ zen-mama.com
    August 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm (5 years ago)

Oh dear…I’m inside on this gorgeous day doing just what you said…I guess I’m too plugged in, too! But I am enjoying myself!! And maybe it’s too hot outside anyway..#justkidding

August 23, 2010 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

I’m sure it was too hot outside. Wait until September to break your addiction. It’s nicer out in the fall…

17. Sandra
    August 22, 2010 at 2:21 am (5 years ago)

You’ve just described me to a T…and shamefully, rather than realize I have a slight problem, I’m thinking that i need a Blackberry so I can excuse myself to go to the washroom and check my blog, FB, Twitter!

August 23, 2010 at 8:40 am (5 years ago)

Me too. I totally want one of those babies…or an android, or a iPhone…

18. The Mommyologist
    August 22, 2010 at 10:10 am (5 years ago)

This post seriously kicks ass!!! You just described me to a “T”!! I am WAY WAY WAY too plugged in…but I love every stinkin’ minute of it.

I am even guilty of pulling out my Iphone just to “check the time” but it’s really just an excuse to glance at my emails!!

August 23, 2010 at 8:40 am (5 years ago)

If I had an iPhone, I’d be doing the same thing. I so, so, want a smart phone so I have immediate access wherever I go, but at the same time, I don’t want a smart phone, because then I’d have immediate access wherever I go…

19. Christine
    August 22, 2010 at 12:27 pm (5 years ago)

I can’t relate to this post… (just kidding ;))

August 23, 2010 at 8:39 am (5 years ago)

Nope. No one can. The women written about in this post are, emmm, from Russia. And they write on blogs I’ve never heard of. Yep, that’s it…

20. Dalia
    August 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm (5 years ago)

Okay, you make me feel better. Do need my access and just recently found myself out with friends wishing my online friends were there! It is so easy though to do all of them. I have been trying. Great post!

August 23, 2010 at 8:38 am (5 years ago)

I think we’ve all been there…as evidenced by the number of people who have commented here!

21. Bbm For Iphone
    October 17, 2013 at 7:04 am (2 years ago)

omg, BBM looks So Awe Inspiring! I can’t wait for this thing to come out on Android! Stupendous!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Seven Signs You Might Be Too Plugged In.

1. […] Most of us are addicted to technology {me included}. Want to know if its taking over your life? Read this. […]

2. […] you love blogging? Tweeting? Well then you MUST check out Amber’s post over at Amber Page Writes to see if you just might be too plugged in. It’s so relatable it’s scary!And this […]