Seven Little Things.

Next week, my daughter will be seventeen months old. I’m not sure how that happened, since it seems like it was only last week that I was complaining about the spit-up on my shirts and cheering her on as she rolled across the floor. But here we are. I’m pretty sure the next time I blink, she’ll be seven. Before we get there, I feel it necessary to record some of the things that make Tori “Tori” at this moment in time. Things like:

Running across the room to grab our legs and hug them. That little girl loves to hug—she even hugs the other kids at daycare. But the best ones are when she stops what she’s doing and tackles us, saying “Hi, Mommy” as she does (I think that’s code for I love you).

Practicing her Miss America wave every chance she gets. She has a wave that’s pageant-ready, complete with a perfectly turned wrist and an ear-to-ear smile. Too bad I have no plans to enter her in an actual pageant.

Throwing world class tantrums. If tantrums were an Olympic sport, she’d get the gold medal for sure. They are fantastic specimens, complete with a red face, stiff body and ear-shattering screams. I’m going to film one and show it to her first boyfriend (so he’ll know what he’s getting into).

Choosing broccoli over chocolate cake. Someone must have forgotten to tell her that toddlers aren’t supposed to like vegetables, because this girl? Will pass up hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and even the aforementioned cake if there’s something green and vegetable-y on her plate.

Dancing around the house, singing tunelessly. I have no idea what song is playing in her head, but it gets her moving, that’s for sure. She waves her arms around and sings, waiting for us to join in her secret dance party. Sometimes she even wakes up singing.

Trying to run away from home. Put her in the front yard, and that girl heads for the hills (literally), running down the driveway and straight out into the road, saying “by-yee” as she goes. Luckily, we live on a cul-de-sac. Otherwise, we’d have a smooshed Tori on our hands by now.

Begging for a cookie every chance she gets. Brian taught her to say “cook-ie!!!” last week (exclamation point her emphasis), and now she asks for one every other minute. Fortunately, the way she says it is absolutely adorable. The giggles keep me from going insane.

That’s my Tori. Right now, anyway. I’m sure next week she’ll be on her way to being a completely different person, stealing my heart again with each new discovery. But that’s what being a parent is all about, right?

10 Comments on Seven Little Things.

1. alicia
    August 30, 2010 at 3:34 am (5 years ago)

This made me smile. So good that you are documenting. And believe it or not, one day you will miss those tantrums and forget completely about the broccoli. And you’d better not blink again…

August 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm (5 years ago)

I’m thinking of taping my eyes open. Only, then my contacts would dry out.

2. Pollyanna
    August 30, 2010 at 1:17 pm (5 years ago)

Isn’t blogging a great way to journal these types of things??

I remember being at my cousin’s wedding and actually threatening Cupie with, “If you don’t sit down right now, I’m going to take away your broccoli.” NEVER, in a million years, did I ever think that sentance was going to come out of my mouth.

And the “run to” hug never gets old. I love it when their faces light up at the sight of you, they run over, plow into you at full speed, and squeeze! It makes all the troubles of the day melt away.

August 30, 2010 at 4:56 pm (5 years ago)

Yep, every once in a while, I like to completely forget I’m writing for anyone else and just get these things down. That’s a hilarious story!

3. Nancy C
    August 30, 2010 at 3:07 pm (5 years ago)

My two year old is always singing as well. Happy little tunes. Such joy.

August 30, 2010 at 4:56 pm (5 years ago)

I’m not much of a singer, but hearing her inspires me to sing as well. Anything to make that little girl smile.

4. dusty earth mother
    August 30, 2010 at 7:49 pm (5 years ago)

hooray for the veggie lover! my daughter will also push aside everything on her plate to get to the broccoli or sauteed spinach. Love that. Happy 17, Tori.

September 1, 2010 at 9:03 am (5 years ago)

I wish I had Tori’s talent., When faced with a choice between chocolate and broccoli, I will always choose the chocolate.

5. Tiffany@LattesAndLife
    August 31, 2010 at 3:35 pm (5 years ago)

I so wish Miss Savannah was a hugger. She is so not interested in snuggles or any such nonsense. My son was and still is the snuggle bunny. But Savannah is much too cool for all that 😉

September 1, 2010 at 9:02 am (5 years ago)

Ahh, Tori hasn’t figured out how to be cool yet. I must admit, I am glad!