Random BlogHer Thoughts.

Right now, hundreds of BlogHer posts are going up around the blogosphere. Some will tell you about this year’s swag drama. Some will tell you about the parties. Some will tell you about the sessions.

And there’s lots to say about all of that (and I’ll tell you about it later)*.

But at the end of the day (or weekend) BlogHer wasn’t about any of that. Not really. At least not for me.

It was about nervously taking a seat next to a stranger and getting up 30 minutes later with the warmth in your heart that comes from meeting a new friend.

And the spirited debate that happens when women from different walks of life sit down at a lunch table and start talking about what matters.

It was about the massive waves of energy that emanate from a ballroom filled with 2,000 bloggers pooling their personal power to make something big happen.

And laughter-filled conversations with friends before returning to the room at night.

It was about the passion that fills hearts and lights up minds when women get together to change the world.

And margarita-fueled dinners that you wish would never end.

It’s about exploring a new city. Immersing yourself in the blogger culture. Taking risks and learning things about yourself in the process.

But ultimately, it’s about connection. About wrapping your arms around the blogging community and coming away with a slew of new friends.

It makes you feel like you’re part of something. Something big. And reaffirms your belief that together, we’re changing the world, one blog post at a time.

*In other words, I’m far too tired to make sense of it all, so instead you’re getting a glimpse at the ramblings of my mind. Try not to hold it against me.

14 Comments on Random BlogHer Thoughts.

1. dusty earth mother
    August 8, 2010 at 10:47 pm (5 years ago)

Ha! I just wrote my BlogHer post and it was very similar–my brain is completely fried, but I did love the camaraderie and that was my take-away. I’m sorry we didn’t get to meet–maybe next year in San Diego :-)?

August 9, 2010 at 9:54 am (5 years ago)

Or maybe when I drag myt hubby back to NYC for a Christmastime trip? Nah, that probably won’t happen, but it would be awesome if it did.

2. Alexandra
    August 9, 2010 at 1:31 am (5 years ago)

Perfectly said, Amber. I’d like to go, but I’m so afraid b/c I don’t know anyone. And I’m afraid to go, and have the people I like, not have the same feelings.

Glad to see it was worth it to you.

This was a wonderful post. Really.

I’m going next year, simply b/c my In laws live there, so It’d make sense. But, still nervous, about getting there and having my heart broken, you know..

August 9, 2010 at 9:54 am (5 years ago)

You know, I didn’t actually meet very many of the people I consider my friends (I forgot to plug numbers into my cell). But I made some good connections with people who were complete strangers. It is ridiculously intimidating and overwhelming and all of those things. But I’d say it’s worth doing at least once. I don’t think I’ll go again next year, though.

3. Jen
    August 9, 2010 at 9:01 am (5 years ago)

I am glad that you had a good time. I am so going next year.

August 9, 2010 at 9:52 am (5 years ago)

It’s in San Diego…which I’m sure will be a good time.

August 9, 2010 at 9:14 pm (5 years ago)

It sounds like a good time was had by all at BlogHer and HomeHer! Next year, I’ll probably be part of your party.

4. Megan
    August 9, 2010 at 3:44 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds like a great time! I wonder if I will ever go. Glad you were able to experience it.

August 9, 2010 at 9:14 pm (5 years ago)

You should go once, if you can manage it. I think that was enough for me…

5. Elona
    August 9, 2010 at 6:19 pm (5 years ago)

I’m so glad you had a great trip!!

August 9, 2010 at 9:13 pm (5 years ago)

How was Gen Con?

6. Danielle
    August 10, 2010 at 10:21 am (5 years ago)

I couldn’t agree more, it was totally overwhelming and awe-inspiring and while there were many moments of nervous banter and awkwardness they were balanced by more laughs and tears!:)

August 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm (5 years ago)

It was never boring, that’s for sure! I still feel emotionally drained, and I’ve been home for 48 hours now.