Hey, It’s Okay…

Oh, Internet. The lot of us, we stress about some pretty silly things. Does The Bloggess know I exist? Has my gynecologist read my blog? Do you think anyone knows I pick my nose while I write? And it’s okay to worry about those things. But it’s okay to let those worries go, too…

In fact, there are bunches of things that it’s okay to be okay about.

It’s okay to wish all the damn BlogHer talk would stop already. Sure, it’s fun to read the first 500 blogs about  blogging  conferences. But after that? It gets kinda old (I say that and I’m actually going. I’m sure the rest of you want to stuff our computers down our throats).

It’s okay to think McDonald’s is pretty damn tasty. Since I saw the movie Super Size Me way back when, I’ve stayed away from McD’s for the most part. Seeing what it did to that man just ruined it for me. But this past weekend? I had a quarter pounder with cheese meal, complete with super salty fries and a coke as big as my head. And it was delicious.

It’s okay to wonder what the hell happened to summer. I don’t know if you noticed, but it’s August already. August. And I still have no trace of a tan, haven’t eaten an ice cream cone and have only spent one day at the pool. How did that happen?

It’s okay to think the KFC Double Down Sandwich is a sign that the end of the world’s coming. Or at least that the United States deserves to get taken down. I mean, substituting fried chicken patties for the bread on a bacon sandwich? That should just be illegal.

It’s okay to not like Mad Men. As an advertising copywriter, admitting that I have no interest in Don Draper and his crew is practically sacrilege. But you know what? That show is depressing. The characters are all horrible people. And by the time it’s over, I feel vaguely dirty. I spend enough hours of my day getting paid to feel that way. I don’t need to relive it from the comfort of my couch.

It’s okay to wish the skinny jean trend would die and go to hell. Why, Internet, why? Why won’t the skinny jeans go away? They make my legs look like particularly lardy sausage casings (and I’m hardly the only one). Fortunately, I have the sense to ban them from my closet. But not everyone is so wise. Couldn’t we just go back to those lovely trouser jeans, please?

It’s okay to have no interest in celebrity gossip. Brangelina still find time to date! Jennifer Aniston still isn’t pregnant! Mel Gibson is still a prick! You know what? I don’t care. If they decide to donate a million dollars to the Amber Needs Some Manolos Fund, then I’ll care what the Hollywood types are doing. Until then? I don’t give a flying you-know-what.

It’s okay to want to type “in 36 hours, I’m going to BlogHer!” over and over again. I know you guys are over it. I know merely reading those words makes you want to stab me in the eye with a sharp pencil. But, dudes? I’m excited. So sue me.

And that’s what I’m okay about this week. By the way, I got this idea from the Whispering Writer. And she just had to send her husband off to Korea for a year. So go over there and give her some sugar, okay?

Now gather round and tell me what’s on your mind. What are you trying to be okay about right now?

19 Comments on Hey, It’s Okay…

1. C @ Kid Things
    August 3, 2010 at 9:21 pm (5 years ago)

I feel the same, except for the last 2. Although I’m sure if I were going to BlogHer, I’d be excited too. Instead, I’m just going to wallow over here and hope some exciting celebrity gossip happens instead. Also, The Bloggess linked to me a few weeks ago, over a comment I left. I felt like a rockstar.

August 4, 2010 at 10:47 am (5 years ago)

You are definitely a rock star. I bow down at your feet.

2. Jen
    August 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm (5 years ago)

I am so glad that you said its ok to like McD’s because, I really, really do. 😉

August 4, 2010 at 10:46 am (5 years ago)

Fast food is a lovely guilty pleasure to have…

3. Allison @ Alli n Son
    August 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm (5 years ago)

Those KFC sandwiches are the most disgusting thing ever. Just gross.

August 4, 2010 at 10:46 am (5 years ago)

The sight of them makes me want to barf.

4. gigi
    August 3, 2010 at 11:39 pm (5 years ago)

I’m on board with nearly all of these…except I luv celeb gossip, and I am done done DONE with the BlogHer tweets and posts. Of course, by posting my disdain for it this week, I got a ton of blog comments. Give the people what they want!

August 4, 2010 at 10:45 am (5 years ago)

I am not completely immune to gossip, I just get sick of the overwhelming multitude of headlines about Brad and Angelina. I’m sure next year, I’ll be in the anti-BlogHer crowd…unless it’s in Indianapolis, I sure won’t be able to afford it again.

5. Alexandra
    August 4, 2010 at 10:24 am (5 years ago)

One of the best “it’s OK” around today…yeah, with you on almost all. CANNOT stand mad men. Saw it once, too depressing.

Still want to hear all the low down on BlogHer,though, can’t help myself.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

August 4, 2010 at 10:44 am (5 years ago)

I want to like that show…I really do. I just don’t. Boo. Lowdown coming up in 4 days or less!

6. erica
    August 4, 2010 at 10:33 am (5 years ago)

I am still stuck on the whole not liking MadMen…. You do know Jon Hamm is like, the hottest man alive, right?

August 4, 2010 at 10:43 am (5 years ago)

Oh yeah. He’s super hot. Watching the show with the sound off, merely for the gorgeous scenery, is always an option.

7. Las Vegas Mama
    August 4, 2010 at 11:13 am (5 years ago)

THANK YOU for saying who cares about celebrity gossip!!! they are BORING! lol

August 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm (5 years ago)

I know. Of course Brad and Angelina find time to date. They have six nannies and 4326578984673298 bazillion dollars!

8. Florida Girl Meets the Midwest
    August 4, 2010 at 1:11 pm (5 years ago)

The skinny jean trend needs to slink back to the house of anorexia where it was spawn.

Cheeseburger and fries here I come…

August 4, 2010 at 1:47 pm (5 years ago)

Nom nom nom nom. I love cheeseburgers…and cheesecake. Anything with the word cheese in it, really.

9. one cluttered brain
    August 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm (5 years ago)

oh yeah?
    Well in less than 36 hours…(does that mean this fri?) I am hosting my FIRST ever twitter party cause I’m not going to blogher….
    lol.
    i even got some donations…

Heck yeah, I’m excited!

So you have your FUN…and I will have mine.
    I’ll go to blogher someday…Count on it.
    just not this year! I gotta have more money first!

10. one cluttered brain
    August 4, 2010 at 4:21 pm (5 years ago)

dude!
    Does the gyno read my blog?
    does bloggess know i exist?
    Probably not. but I’ll keep blogging anyway.
    jennyonthespot knows i have a blog and that is just as cool in MY book….

11. debbie
    August 5, 2010 at 9:07 am (5 years ago)

Those of us that aren’t going are just jealous!
    And stay away from those KFC sandwiches. I am relatively certain they are the work of the devil:)