Writing Workshop: A Wedding Song.

A lifetime ago, when I got engaged, I decided to plan the wedding in a hurry. Not because I was pregnant (obviously, since Tori didn’t appear until the grandparents had given up all hope), but simply because I was ready. After all, I’d known I wanted to marry this man since I was 18. There was no point in prolonging the inevitable.

Within a week of our engagement, the hall was booked, the church was secured and we were well on our way to having the details worked out. I bought the third dress I tried on. Went with the first florist I interviewed. Our cake baker was chosen solely on the recommendation of a friend, without a single meeting.

But there was one area where I took my time. The music. It, quite simply, needed to be perfect.

During the ceremony, my cousin and his wife performed one of my very favorite songs—”All I Ask of You” by Andrew Lloyd Weber. And their voices sent my fondest hopes for our marriage winging right to the heavens.

Then, of course, there was the issue of the music for our first dance. It was a topic of much debate. We thought, at first, that it should be something on the order of “A Whole New World,” since we went to see Aladdin on our first date. But since we were having a band, not a DJ, and the singer was a husky-voiced man, that was kind of out.

Then I thought maybe I wanted “Never Tear Us Apart” by INXS. But the band didn’t know that song (although they did have a sax), and we hadn’t left them enough time to learn a new one.

After that, a whole bunch of names were bandied about. Frank Sinatra. Nat King Cole. Even Bon Jovi.

But in the end? We went with “Just the Way You Are” by Billy Joel.

And while it might not have been our first choice, I can’t think of a better song to sum up our relationship. Because we just fit together. There’s no need to pretend to be anything we’re not. We laugh, snarl and even fart together with equal abandon.

If that’s not a good basis for a marriage, I don’t know what is.

Mama's Losin' It

12 Comments on Writing Workshop: A Wedding Song.

1. Venassa
    July 22, 2010 at 9:46 pm (6 years ago)

Beautiful songs. It would make it even better that people you care about sang it for you. It’s also nice to hear about what a great fit you guys are :)

July 24, 2010 at 9:05 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you. It was a fabulous wedding, if I don’t say so myself.

2. Vanderbilt Wife
    July 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm (6 years ago)

Lovely! We have a funny story about our first dance song–and I didn’t even get to that part on my wedding music post!

3. SaucyB
    July 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm (6 years ago)

My wedding song was by Bill Joel too, it was “She’s Got A Way.” We saw him in concert while we were engaged and when he performed it live we looked at each other and didn’t even have to say anything, we both knew we wanted that to be ‘our’ song.

July 24, 2010 at 9:04 pm (6 years ago)

I love that song. He was an amazing songwriter…prob’ly still is, I guess.

4. erica
    July 23, 2010 at 9:49 am (6 years ago)

I love Billy Joel… and that song is perfect.

5. Coma Girl
    July 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm (6 years ago)

That’s my wedding song too! I actually chose it because we live on Long Island and Long Island loves them some hometown Billy Joel and because it was also my parent’s wedding song (married a few years after I was born).

July 24, 2010 at 9:03 pm (6 years ago)

Those are all very cool reasons!

6. amanda
    July 24, 2010 at 8:54 pm (6 years ago)

This was so sweet. And, I owe you a big thank you for cracking open the door to the memories of our first dance. Lovely.

July 24, 2010 at 9:02 pm (6 years ago)

It was nice to go back and reminisce…wasn’t it? Reminisce is a hard word to spell, by the way.

7. Jo Anne
    July 24, 2010 at 11:39 pm (6 years ago)

Amber, I’m a couple days late with getting my workshop entry in, but I chose to write about my wedding song as well. And you know what? No, I didn’t pick the same song as you, but I DID pick a Billy Joel song. He is amazing, and I’m so happy to see someone else blog about him as a wedding song!!!

Great song choice!!!

July 25, 2010 at 10:43 am (6 years ago)

I guess that just goes to show we both have great taste!