Wordful Wednesday: Another Side of Indiana.

What images does the word Indiana bring to mind? Cornfields? Farmers in overalls? Amish people drivingĀ  buggies?

Well, we do have all of that (and a lot of it). But that’s not all we’ve got. As a matter of fact, the part of Indiana I live in is home to rolling hills, beautiful lakes and miles and miles of national forest. It’s gorgeous here, it really is.

We even have waterfalls.

This is at McCormick’s Creek State Park. Which is also where you’ll find scenery like this:

And this:

Not too shabby, right?

Of course, to get to this piece of gorgeousness, you do in fact have to drive through 20 miles of cornfields…and you might even see an Amish person (well, Mennonite anyway) or two. But the fact remains that there’s another side to Indiana.

And even the mullets polka dotting the landscape can’t ruin its splendor.

11 Comments on Wordful Wednesday: Another Side of Indiana.

1. BalancingMama
    July 7, 2010 at 9:31 pm (6 years ago)

My best friend married an Indiana boy. On her first visit to meet his parents, she noticed something odd as they were driving past some homes. A deer, hung up and quartered on the front lawn! She nearly flipped out. But it is hunting territory, and I guess she shouldn’t have been so shocked. But I’ve always thought that was a hilarious story.

I’m originally from Tennessee… that state has its share of mullets mixed with beauty as well. And an ocassional home that blows up from a meth lab accident.

July 8, 2010 at 10:58 am (6 years ago)

Yep, that sounds like Indiana, alright. My town is kind of a liberal oasis in the midst of all kinds of craziness like that.

July 8, 2010 at 10:58 am (6 years ago)

Thanks. The hub gets credit for taking these…

2. jen
    July 8, 2010 at 8:31 am (6 years ago)

ohhhhhhhhh so nice!!

3. Florida Girl Meets the Midwest
    July 8, 2010 at 11:12 am (6 years ago)

Our landscape looks pretty similar here. I think it is gorgeous.

PS I left you an award over at my blog. enjoy.

July 8, 2010 at 1:40 pm (6 years ago)

The Midwest is not without it’s charms. And thank you for the award!

4. Megan
    July 8, 2010 at 11:16 am (6 years ago)

Little known fact: I am a mennonite preacher’s kid.
    *BOOM*

July 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm (6 years ago)

Well, that is something I definitely didn’t know about you! Huh. I have a couple relatives who are Mennonite, but no preachers in the family…

5. Gail
    July 8, 2010 at 12:52 pm (6 years ago)

I WISH I lived further south. I seriously live in the armpit of America, otherwise known as Northwest Indiana. Sigh…I need to get down to Brown County or McCormick’s Creek. *sniffle* :) Love the pictures!!

July 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm (6 years ago)

Well, at least Lake Michigan is up there. I’d give anything to spend some time on a Lake Michigan beach.