Who Are All You People, Anyway?

Two weeks from today, I’ll be in NYC, enjoying the final few hours of freedom BlogHer. And, like everyone else on the Interwebz (at least the 1500 or so women who are going), I’m ridiculously excited.

I’ve read all kinds of great posts and watched some great vlogs about what to expect, like this one and this one and especially this one. I even belong to a forum filled with advice, speculation and even some good old fashioned gossip.

I know what everyone will be wearing. I’ve heard about all the parties people are going to (and learned who was “lucky” enough to get invited to private shindigs). I’m prepared to network, and learn, and have a whole bunch of fun.

But there’s one thing I want to know that the internet can’t tell me. I’m wondering what everyone will be like in real life. Who are the women behind the blogs? How close are their real life personalities to their online personas?

I fall into the “what you read is what you get” category. I might be a little less rowdy than my blog leads you to believe, but generally speaking, the words typed here are the same words that fall out of my mouth in actual conversation (if somewhat more eloquently stated).

And, judging from the phone conversation I had with Mommy’s Still Fabulous the other day, I’d say she’s living her brand too.

But I’m wondering…

Will those who are free with cuss words online speak equally colorfully?

Will the funny ladies have us in stitches?

Will the writerly types hang back, watching (and writing) from the sidelines?

Will we have as much in common in real life as we seem to online?

Or will it be like that first junior high dance, where everyone just stared at each other and shuffled their feet awkwardly?

But you know what? Those questions will have to go unanswered for now. Because, for once, the Internet can’t stand in as a substitute for real life. I’ll just have to dive in to the great unknown that is BlogHer and find my answers as I muddle through.

By the way, if you see me standing somewhere looking hopelessly lost? I probably am. I have no sense of direction. So, please, stop and help?

Otherwise, I might have to throw one of those tantrums my daughter is so famous for. And that would not be pretty. Not pretty at all.

28 Comments on Who Are All You People, Anyway?

1. Tiffany
    July 24, 2010 at 9:56 pm (6 years ago)

first–love the new site. welcome to wordpress! who did your design?

i’m so jealous that you’re going to Blogher. i too wonder what people are like in real life. i feel like i would surely disappoint…funny doesn’t come easy among strangers. :)

have an awesome time!

July 25, 2010 at 10:46 am (6 years ago)

Thank you! Shauna at SMD designs did it – but my husband is learning CSS and so is playing with it every chance he gets. I just keep saying to him, make sure the original (that we paid for) is saved….But don’t worry, I’ll write all about it, and then it’ll seem like you were there!

2. Nolie
    July 24, 2010 at 10:16 pm (6 years ago)

All the best at BlogHer. I have the same fears and excitement over going to Blissdom Canada in October.

July 25, 2010 at 10:47 am (6 years ago)

I heard the Blissdom in the states was awesome, so I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

3. Allison @ Alli n Son
    July 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm (6 years ago)

Oh you will have so much fun! I wish I was going too , we could be lost wall flowers together.

July 25, 2010 at 10:45 am (6 years ago)

Well, I may be tweeting, looking for people to keep me company online if I get too shy!

4. AmyBlam
    July 24, 2010 at 11:28 pm (6 years ago)

Well-I STILL can’t figure out what people are wearing so would love some info on that.
    And what are these private parties? I don’t know anything about that.
    Don’t forget to email me with your digits. I can’t remember-what parties are you going to?
    And, yeah, unfortunately I’m pretty much the same in person as I am on my blog-except sometimes worse. 😉

July 25, 2010 at 10:45 am (6 years ago)

Clothes: there seem to be two camps, the capri/jeans and T camp, and the biz casual camp. I’ll prob’ly just be wearing the skirts and stuff I wear every day…I will email you today!

• AmyBlam
        July 25, 2010 at 4:28 pm (6 years ago)

I pretty much wear skirts/dresses every day. What are private parties?

July 26, 2010 at 9:40 am (6 years ago)

Some brands/products are apparently hosting shindigs by invitation only. But who cares. It’s NYC, baby. Gotta save some time to paint the town…

5. Marilyn (A Lot of Loves)
    July 25, 2010 at 2:09 am (6 years ago)

I think BlogHer will be cool – especially the Sparklecorn party of course! If I see you, I’ll be sure to say hi. You can guarantee I’ll be at the MamaPop party since I’m a writer but I still have no idea what I’m wearing. Hopefully clothes of some sort.

July 25, 2010 at 10:43 am (6 years ago)

You could always go the Emporer’s New Clothes route…talk about stirring up drama! I figure as long as my pants don’t have holes in the crotch, it’s all good.

6. Pocklock
    July 25, 2010 at 9:37 am (6 years ago)

Just remember that it is what you make it. Ignore the gossip and the drama (because I promise there will be plenty of that) and OWN your experience. No regrets! If you’re worrying about your outfit because it was a little out-of-the-box for you, then you’re going to miss something! Just be you and people will love you for that! I hope we get to meet!

(Oh, and at the risk of this sounding like a total plug, if it’ll help give you an insider look, you can read my entries from my newbie experience last year here: http://www.pocklock.com/2009/07/page/2/)

July 25, 2010 at 10:42 am (6 years ago)

I’ll check it out! I’m going to have fun, no matter what…I’m really good at ignoring drama (ad agencies are full of it), so that shouldn’t be a problem!

7. Charlotte
    July 25, 2010 at 2:52 pm (6 years ago)

First things first: I love your redesign :)

I wish I were attending this year (and I’m SO CLOSE so it’s a shame I already have an engagement that weekend, BOO!), but I wish you the best of luck and hope you get a lot out of the experience. I can’t wait to hear all about it!

July 26, 2010 at 9:41 am (6 years ago)

My husband thanks you…he’s the one tinkering with it. Maybe next year you can come? Maybe I won’t. WHo knows…but I’ll write all about it, so you won’t miss a thing! Except, maybe, the hangover?

8. Ann's Rants
    July 25, 2010 at 9:18 pm (6 years ago)

I will tell you what the best part is–interpersonally, anyway.

You will meet someone–next to a potted plant, or sitting on a lobby settee.–

Someone whose blog you’ve never read or heard of.

And you will find a new friend. That you ADORE.

That was the big unexpected perk for me. WITHOUT all the stats and screens, you meet people in a whole different and genuine way.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

July 26, 2010 at 9:39 am (6 years ago)

That’s what I’m looking most forward to! Is “most forward” grammatically correct? I have no idea. Anyway. And you’re welcome. I’ll be back!

9. Lance
    July 26, 2010 at 9:58 am (6 years ago)

This must your version of Comic-Con. Will everyone all huddle up and be like “ooooooo, look it’s Missy from MommyDrinksYourMilkshake.com!? She has like 10 million subscribers and the first blogger to incorporate embedded youtube videos! Let’s get an autograph.

Look it’s the blogger turned author of Julie / Julia, mob her!

10. Lance
    July 26, 2010 at 10:00 am (6 years ago)

Who would play you in your movie version of this blog?

July 26, 2010 at 10:05 am (6 years ago)

I would, of course. Don’t you know I’ve always harbored secret ambitions of being an actress?

11. Alexandra
    July 26, 2010 at 12:09 pm (6 years ago)

oh, please let us know!!! i love to hear the “inside” scoop on BlogHer.

Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!! You’re one of my faves…

July 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm (6 years ago)

I definitely will…although I’ll try not to go on and on and on ad nauseum. I know a lot of people get annoyed by all that stuff after a while!

12. Cheryl
    July 26, 2010 at 9:59 pm (6 years ago)

So excited to have found your blog, and know I’ll be equally excited to find you at BlogHer….newbie me that I am! 😉

See you there!

July 27, 2010 at 8:42 am (6 years ago)

I’ll be there with bells on! T-9 days and counting!

13. Andi
    July 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm (6 years ago)

Oohhhhh I can’t wait to hear all about it!! Please bring back some uber-juicy gossip about fellow bloggers. . . I can’t live on Brangelina alone!!! Have fun!!

July 27, 2010 at 8:42 pm (6 years ago)

You can count on it, babe. Sure you can’t get yourself working on a flight going to NYC that weekend? Then we could have those drinks we always talk about!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Who Are All You People, Anyway?

1. […] that I didn’t even know about “private ” parties until 2 days ago. (Thanks Amber Page- you dirty biatch No really. I LOVE her and can’t wait to meet […]