What Makes A Life Worthwhile?

At lunch today, my husband said, “too bad they don’t tell you your life’s going to be worthless when you’re a kid…then your expectations wouldn’t be so high.”

I was shocked.

I mean, sure, we’d both been kvetching about our jobs, our inability to keep up with the house and the general insanity of parenting a toddler, but worthless? That’s not a word I would ever use to describe our lives.

And yet, I know what he means.

Every once in a while (well, maybe slightly more than that), I look around and think, “This is it? This is my life? I thought there was supposed to be…more.”

Like everyone, when I started out, I had dreams of setting the world on fire. Of being a hotshot copywriting wunderkind courted by the hottest agencies and biggest clients. Of writing best selling novels and Oscar-winning screenplays. And, of course, of making millions of dollars in the process.

Instead, I work for a small agency in Indiana. I live in a three-bedroom cookie cutter house in an Anytown USA kind of subdivision. I have a gym membership, a car payment and a wardrobe that reflects my ever yo-yoing weight.

I am the living embodiment of the stereotypical Midwestern woman. And if I stop to think about that for too long? It’s easy to get a little depressed.

But you know what? None of that matters. Those aren’t the things that make a life worthwhile.

You know what does?

Being part of a family that loves you, even through the most miserable of your teenage years.

Finding someone you want to spend your life with—and loving him even when it’d be easier to stop.

Meeting the friends who remain part of you, no matter how far from each other you roam.

Creating a new little person and watching helplessly as she steals more and more of your heart with every step she takes away from you.

It’s the smiles you share. The laughter that catches you off guard. It’s the tears you shed and the anger that roars through your veins. It’s everything that comes with loving and being loved.

Coincidentally, the things that make a life worthwhile are the same things that make me Not Mom of the Year. And if you agree? Kindly do me a favor and vote for me over at Life Without Pink. The part of me that still craves fame and fortune would love to win that little award…

17 Comments on What Makes A Life Worthwhile?

1. Life is not worthless
    July 19, 2010 at 4:19 pm (6 years ago)

I was just repeating the line from a stand-up routine that we watched on Friday on Comedy Central. The guy went, nobody ever tells the kids the truth about growing up. Sure you can be anything, but out of your class, like one or two of you are going to famous or really change things in this world on a grand scale.

life is not worthless, I have you afterall.

July 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm (6 years ago)

Uh huh. I think you meant it…at least a little bit. And that’s okay!

2. Alexandra
    July 19, 2010 at 4:21 pm (6 years ago)

My husband said the same thing..and I felt so sad for him. Maybe b/c I’m the one that’s around the kids so much, I feel the worthwhileness of it all….

July 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm (6 years ago)

Kids really do keep you grounded, don’t they?

3. one cluttered brain
    July 19, 2010 at 4:33 pm (6 years ago)

hey!!
    You are so right about friends and just living where you are and feeling content.
    Yup, that’s me.
    congrats on being nominated as a finalist too!
    You really did ROCK out on your NOT mom of the year post too!!

Hope you have a good week!

July 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm (6 years ago)

I wish I was better at the whole contentedness thing…I’m a work in progress!

4. Jennifer
    July 19, 2010 at 7:41 pm (6 years ago)

We really were thinking on the same wavelength today, weren’t we? :) Yes, sometimes I look at my life and then want to jump ahead ten years when it will be ‘better.’ And then other times, I realize I’m the luckiest girl in the world right now. You have a great blog!

July 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm (6 years ago)

Yep. I’m trying to ground myself in the present, even though I just keep wonderin’ what’s around the bend…but I think that’s normal.

5. ericka @ alabaster cow
    July 20, 2010 at 10:11 am (6 years ago)

that’s such a common feeling. it’s funny how it doesn’t necessarily mean you hate your current life. it’s just different and you sometimes think because it’s different you’ve somehow failed when that’s usually not the case whatsoever.

July 21, 2010 at 8:49 am (6 years ago)

I don’t think life ever turns out how you think it will. Unless you’re Britney Spears. And hey, that didn’t work so well for her,l either.

6. Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings
    July 20, 2010 at 11:27 am (6 years ago)

Oh good…then I shouldn’t be depressed I never ended up working for National Geographic and making millions at selling my photographs. Whoo…I feel better now!

July 21, 2010 at 8:47 am (6 years ago)

Then my job here is done.

7. AmyBlam
    July 20, 2010 at 1:53 pm (6 years ago)

I am currently indignant at the keepers of the internet. Where are my millions and designers clamoring to dress me and people featuring me in magazines. The internets promised to make me famous. *sigh*.
    When I do become famous, the first things I am doing is hiring someone to clean my house, do laundry and fix my hair.

July 21, 2010 at 8:47 am (6 years ago)

When you become even famouser, can you send someone to my house to clean, do laundry and fix my hair?

8. AmyBlam
    July 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm (6 years ago)

Oh-and I totally want to talk to you at blogher. You should email me your digits and what parties you are going to so we can text and meet up!

July 21, 2010 at 8:46 am (6 years ago)

Definitely. I’ll email ya…