Things That Make Me Happy: The Summer Edition

It’s no secret that I’ve been a bit down in the dumps lately. But you know what? There are a lot of good things in my life. Things (and people) I’m lucky to have around me. Things that remind me that dag nam it, life ain’t half bad, and it’s time to stop the whining and smell the roses (or, in my case,  brownies) already.

Things like:

Air conditioning. So far this summer, the thermometer has constantly hovered somewhere around  five bajillion degrees. Which feels good for all of five seconds. But then? I’m ready to head back inside and sit in my temperature-controlled house for a while.

Fireflies. They’re putting on quite a show right now. One worth braving the wall of humidity that sucks the air from your lungs when you step outside.

TheC25K program. When I started the program seven weeks ago, I thought my saggy ass was going to die after the first 60 second run. And now? Well, I did a 20-minute run last weekend and didn’t keel over (but it wasn’t fun). I’m not where I want to be just yet, but I’m getting a lot closer. And that feels good.

Swirly skirts. Unless you’re brand new here, you know how much I love me a whirly skirt. The wicked wind that always seems to pop up when I wear one? Not so much.

Mad Housewife Chardonnay. And no, they’re not paying me to say that. My husband bought a bottle for me a couple months ago as a joke, but you know what? It’s damn tasty,  under $10, and with a name like “Mad Housewife,”  drinking out of a plastic tumbler (my wine vessel of choice) seems strangely appropriate.

Killer weeds (the ones that grow in your garden, not get you high). I know, this seems like a strange one. But when strangling vines threaten to take over the garden you’ve poured countless hours and untold amounts of money into, it’s immensely satisfying to grab them by the root and rip them the hell out.

Sidewalk chalk. And bubbles. You know what’s great about having kids? You get to play again. We all draw on the porch together, and everyone, even the dog, loves to pop bubbles. It’s almost worthy of a Norman Rockwell painting (if you ignore the crazy look in my eyes).

This face:

How can you look at that and not laugh?

So that’s it. My happy list. What about you, dear readers? What’s keeping you from getting in the car and forgetting to come home right now?

Mama's Losin' It

20 Comments on Things That Make Me Happy: The Summer Edition

1. Mommylebron
    July 1, 2010 at 7:49 pm (6 years ago)

“Mad Housewife Wine”? For reals? Love it! Thank you so much for coming by today!

July 2, 2010 at 9:12 am (6 years ago)

What’s not to love? Especially when drinking in an air conditioned room while fireflies dance outside.

2. Jen
    July 1, 2010 at 9:17 pm (6 years ago)

I am SO with you on the AC! I couldn’t live without ours

July 2, 2010 at 9:12 am (6 years ago)

How did people do without it? Dang, we’re spoiled.

3. Joanna
    July 1, 2010 at 9:31 pm (6 years ago)

ummm, that face is killer… definitely would make anyone smile.

I’ll have to try this mad housewife wine, sounds right up my alley!

July 2, 2010 at 9:13 am (6 years ago)

I could use a glass right now and it’s only 9 a.m. Kidding. Mostly.

4. Tina @ Life Without Pink
    July 1, 2010 at 10:18 pm (6 years ago)

I totally agree with being thankful for AC. We lost our electricity last week for 2 days due to a horrible storm and it was in the 90’s! It was very brutal.

July 2, 2010 at 9:14 am (6 years ago)

That doesn’t sound like fun at all. Ours always seems to go out in the winter when it’s 90 below.

July 2, 2010 at 9:16 am (6 years ago)

I do indeed. All linked up!

5. Jonathan jose
    July 2, 2010 at 2:05 am (6 years ago)

I completely agree with you on the AC. It really is one of the things that makes me happy this summer

6. MonicaFernaays
    July 2, 2010 at 8:06 am (6 years ago)

Thank you for stopping by Organzied Chaos!! Oh my who wouldn’t love that face!! Where I am we don’t really have much heat until August – good ol’ NY, but this summer has been different, and I’d like my little window Air Conditioned in!!! They may have to go on the list for this weekend! Mad Housewife wine, I think they have a red too and I have had that!! Yum – You have a great day!!

July 2, 2010 at 9:17 am (6 years ago)

The heat and the humidity is one of the only things that make me miss Michigan…until I hear it was 40 degrees last night. Brrrr.

7. SaucyB
    July 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm (6 years ago)

well i’m certainly loving being at my in-laws shore house right now, feeling the breeze and watching the water. ahhhh

8. Gina
    July 2, 2010 at 3:44 pm (6 years ago)

The thought of finishing my novel. I am married to a really gorgeous guy. I really like my kids, most of the time.

Umm…that’s all I can come up with right now.

Your list is simply fabulous, especially the weeds one.

I have to go ready your other posts now and get caught up.

9. anymommy
    July 3, 2010 at 7:19 pm (6 years ago)

Life is good when you’re covered in chocolate. The beach. Even when the water is bone-chilling. The beach makes me happy. And tired, sand-covered kids.

10. suzi
    July 4, 2010 at 12:45 am (6 years ago)

I’m glad our summer hasn’t been that hot yet – all we have is a window fan, no a/c :( usually it’s not a problem though, our bedroom window in under a big shady tree so we usually get a nice cool breeze anyway.

Babies covered in chocolate and looking that happy make everyone smile, that’s pure happiness on her face!

11. Susie @ A Slice of My Life
    July 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm (6 years ago)

According to popular lore, summer doesn’t start in Seattle until July 5th. I sooo hope they are right as we are still hoovering in the 60’s.

Interesting that my sweetie also brought me home a bottle of Mad Housewife! Only I wasn’t classy enough to use a plastic tumbler…

12. Charlotte
    July 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm (6 years ago)

I went for about a week without AC this year and thought I was going to have to sleep on my fire escape. This summer has been killer.

I love fireflies. Always reminds me of being a kid and the beautiful sights and sounds of summer.

That is the cutest face ever. So much awwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Things That Make Me Happy: The Summer Edition

1. […] recently read a post by Amber – and it is about the things that make her happy (summer edition).  The first thing […]