Romance at the Mall.

Every girl needs a shopping buddy. Someone to tell her what looks good, what makes her butt look fat, and what should never have been taken off the hanger. I have a few of those, but of them all, my husband might be my favorite.*

Why? Because when he’s encouraging me to buy things, I know I’m not going to get in trouble for it later.

And that’s exactly what he did this weekend.

Seems he was sick of seeing me dressed in my jeans and assorted Kohls shirts. Not that there’s anything wrong with Kohls clothing. But I’ve always been something of a clotheshorse—one with a taste for designer duds (preferably purchased on sale, of course).

And Kohls? Is sadly lacking in the designer department.

So when we found ourselves at the mall, sans baby, he steered me toward Macy’s and told me to shop (yes, really). I, of course, headed straight for the clearance racks. After all, we have a baby! And a mortgage! And bills to pay! And besides, I’m still not back at my fighting weight. Why buy “real” clothes?

At least, that’s what I told him. But he wasn’t having it.

Instead, he buzzed around, looking for things he thought would look nice on me  (he managed a clothing store for a few years, so he’s actually good at it) and pointed me toward the dressing room.

When I saw the price tags (no red clearance stickers in sight) I sputtered, but all he said was, “just try them on.”

So I did, luxuriating in the delicious  new clothes smell that wafted around me.

And what I saw in the mirror? Had me pinching myself, wondering if I was dreaming.

Necklines  made the most of my still decent boobs. Shirts nipped in at my waist. Hemlines landed where they were supposed to. And the fabrics? Felt fabulous on my skin—no polyester in sight.

In other words, I looked good. Something I hadn’t been sure I was capable of anymore.

By the time we were done, I had a huge stack of yeses…a pile far larger than our budget allowed. I started to put it all back, but Brian intervened.

‘You should get this,” he said, pointing to a pretty shirt. “And this. And this. And especially this.”

“I can’t get that. It’s like  eighty dollars. I could get three whole outfits at Kohls for that price.”

“Will they fit like this does?

“No.”

“Then get it.”

“Okay, but no complaining about how much I spent later.”

“I won’t complain if you promise not to scowl at yourself in the mirror when you put this on.”

“Deal.”

“Oh, and if you really want to show me how much you appreciate me, you could wear those six-inch heels you have in your closet.”

I  just rolled my eyes and brought my booty up to the register before he could change his mind.

And now? My closet actually contains a few things that make me feel—and look—good.

Proving that after seventeen years, my husband still knows the way to my heart (and hooker heels). Who says  romance is dead?

*Mandatory suck-up statement.

20 Comments on Romance at the Mall.

1. Marilyn (A Lot of Loves)
    July 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm (6 years ago)

That’s quite a man you have there. Quite the opposite of mine who would prefer I wear clothes from Walmart and never shop again. I’m actually a teeny bit jealous of your shopping partner! Glad you got a great new stash.

July 6, 2010 at 9:02 am (6 years ago)

There have been times when he’s wished I would give it a rest…back in the good old days, when I worked a mile away from a faaabulous mall. But living here, my options are severely limited, so he feels much safer.

2. AmyBlam
    July 5, 2010 at 11:00 pm (6 years ago)

That’s awesome! My hubs doesn’t really care about the shopping but he would NEVER help-well, he probably would but he hates malls.
    I’m glad you found some happies!
    For some reason you have vanished out of my google reader and I don’t know why.

July 6, 2010 at 9:02 am (6 years ago)

There are still some glitches with the new site. I hear it helpsif you unsubscribe, then re-subscribe. I hope to have it worked out soon.

• AmyBlam
        July 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm (6 years ago)

I tried that and it worked!

July 6, 2010 at 8:14 pm (6 years ago)

Good. Now I know what to tell other people to do.

3. Allison
    July 6, 2010 at 9:15 am (6 years ago)

What a great hubby. I wish mine had the same fashion sense.

July 6, 2010 at 1:36 pm (6 years ago)

Well, sometimes he’s off base, but more often than not he does a good job. It’s a good quality to have in a hub.

4. melissa
    July 6, 2010 at 10:47 am (6 years ago)

love this! and you just inspired me to write about what my hubby said to me!!
    enjoy your new clothes, you lucky chick!!

July 6, 2010 at 1:35 pm (6 years ago)

Oooh, I’ll have to check out your blog later. I hope the hubs said something nice!

5. BalancingMama (Julie)
    July 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm (6 years ago)

Wow! That is a great post. It made me happy just reading it. I am a big-time Kohl’s shopper. I reach for comfy off the rack instead of trendy. But maybe I need a little spree for myself sometime soon! That sounds really fun. And I could use some confidence boosting these days.

July 6, 2010 at 1:35 pm (6 years ago)

A little spree is good for the soul. The trick, when you’re spending real money on clothes, is to make sure they’re things you’ll wear over and over again.

6. erica
    July 6, 2010 at 12:46 pm (6 years ago)

I love this! Men can be like this… my hubs is always saying, “Don’t buy the crap shoes at Target… get really good shoes at Macy’s or something that last for a long time and feel good!”

Here’s to shopping buddies!

July 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm (6 years ago)

Here here! Enlightened men are the best kinds of husbands to have! Although I love me a cute pair of Target shoes…

7. Megan @ Twinsomnia
    July 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm (6 years ago)

Now that’s an awesome hubby! I too buy waaaaaaaaay too much stuff at Kohl’s. God love them and their 15-20-30% off coupons.

8. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    July 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm (6 years ago)

I love this. LOVE this! My husband also occasionally sends me out to shop – and not at Kohls! He doesn’t come with me, but he definitely likes the fashion show when I return! I think he also likes seeing me feel good about myself. What is it about us that makes us think all we deserve is Kohls? Not that there’s anything WRONG with Kohls, but the stuff is cheap for a reason!

9. Jen
    July 6, 2010 at 5:26 pm (6 years ago)

What a good, good man. :)

July 6, 2010 at 8:15 pm (6 years ago)

I like to think so. But all these nice comments are in danger of giving him a big head!

10. Las Vegas Mama
    July 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm (6 years ago)

Wow how awesome is he! That is great! Nothing like a new wardrobe to put a spring back in your step. I am jeans and Kohls shirts all the way now. It used to be Ann Taylor and designer stuff. Then again, I had a career back then. I am so happy for you that you got to go shopping, how fun!

July 12, 2010 at 9:53 pm (6 years ago)

Oh, I think there’s room for a little Ann Taylor in anybody’s wardrobe…at least Ann Taylor Loft?