A Title I’d Be Proud To Have.

We all know who the “Mom of the Year” is—or at least, who she’s supposed to be.

She’s boring.

I’d much rather hold the “Not Mom of the Year” title.

The woman who is Not Mom of the Year is real. Her life is messy. She loves deeply and laughs loudly. She understands that there’s more to life than a shining kitchen floor or a well-organized closet.

She abandons the dishes in the sink in favor of a water fight.

She shows her children how to make mud pies, joins them in the kiddy pool and helps them create masterpieces in chalk.

She occasionally loses her cool. Her children see her cry, yell and even drop the occasional f-bomb. But it’s okay, because they see her pick up the pieces afterward and move on.

She makes sure her husband knows he is loved. She knows that an unexpected kiss or an unasked for compliment goes a long way toward making up for all the burnt dinners and unnecessary growls.

She often feels guilty. She wishes she could be everywhere and do everything. She longs for more time with her children, but sometimes has a hard time pulling herself away from work. Wherever she is, whatever she’s doing, she feels like she should be doing more.

She takes time out for herself. She holes up somewhere to read a book or heads outside to yank weeds in silence. Then she rejoins her family, refreshed and ready to handle the chaos.

She is a terrible housekeeper. She lets laundry pile up, vacuuming go undone and dust accumulate into bunny armies.

She is a wonderful hugger. She always has time to snuggle with her baby, to read her books and rock her to sleep.

She reads every parenting book she can get her hands on, and worries she’s not doing anything right.

She loves her children more than she ever dreamed possible and feels lucky to be able to call herself Mom.

She is beautiful, conflicted, outrageous and loyal.

She is me, and all the women around me.

She is Not Mom of the Year. And that? Is a pretty special thing to be.

NOT Mom of the Year Award

58 Comments on A Title I’d Be Proud To Have.

1. Alexandra
    July 13, 2010 at 8:17 pm (6 years ago)

This was wonderful, Amber! Good luck to you. I’m having fun hopping around and reading all these…

July 14, 2010 at 8:43 am (6 years ago)

I think everybody did an awesome job. I, of course, had to go off on my own tangent, but oh well.

2. Tina @ Life Without Pink
    July 13, 2010 at 8:24 pm (6 years ago)

I simply LOVED this! Especially the part “She loves deeply and laughs loudly. She understands that there’s more to life than a shining kitchen floor or a well-organized closet.” God that is so true. I admit that I am a little OCD when it comes to a straight house but this is such a great reminder.

Thanks so much for playing along and linking up!!

July 14, 2010 at 8:43 am (6 years ago)

I only wish I could be OCD about the house. I am just about the opposite of whatever OCD is. Thanks for coming up with the contest! Such fun!

3. one cluttered brain
    July 13, 2010 at 8:29 pm (6 years ago)

Yes, yes, i do believe that you did it again!
    I like the fact that she is a hugger and always has time to snuggle with her babies…
    Ahh..thanks for entering!!

July 14, 2010 at 8:44 am (6 years ago)

There’s nothing more important than a good snuggle.

4. Jen
    July 13, 2010 at 8:38 pm (6 years ago)

She is the mom that I want to be. :)

July 14, 2010 at 8:44 am (6 years ago)

Oh, I’ll bet you are that mom. At least in part. We all are!

5. The Mommyologist
    July 13, 2010 at 8:48 pm (6 years ago)

I LOVED this. Absolutely LOVED it! I would much rather be Not Mom of the Year too!! And I can so relate to the wanting more time with your kid but being drawn to work. I am finding myself wanting to get back into working a little and I can’t seem to fight it!

I am a terrible housekeeper, but a wonderful hugger too. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

SO happy you entered this post. SUCH a great read!!

July 14, 2010 at 8:45 am (6 years ago)

Thank you! I’d much rather give hugs than clean toilets…which, I think, means we have our priorities straight.

6. Jenn
    July 13, 2010 at 9:04 pm (6 years ago)

Beautiful! My thoughts exactly! Nice to ‘meet’ you!

July 14, 2010 at 8:45 am (6 years ago)

Nice to meet you too!

7. dusty earth mother
    July 13, 2010 at 10:22 pm (6 years ago)

Excellent, Amber! And I definitely qualify for the dust bunny armies category, so I must be doing something right!

July 14, 2010 at 8:46 am (6 years ago)

You never know when an army of dust bunnies might come in handy. What if magic suddenly becomes real and you have to fight off battalions of goblins?

8. Andi
    July 13, 2010 at 11:19 pm (6 years ago)

Love this! Said perfectly, as usual.

July 14, 2010 at 8:46 am (6 years ago)

Thanks. Excuse me while I blush…

9. Mr. Mom
    July 14, 2010 at 9:41 am (6 years ago)

Awesome! Great one! I totally agree from my Mr. Mom side. We just can’t do it all, but as long as the little ones are happy, who cares about the laundry etc….

July 14, 2010 at 10:37 am (6 years ago)

Laundry is for suckers. And people who put a priority on clean clothes. Which really, are kinda overrated…

10. Jenny H.
    July 14, 2010 at 9:51 am (6 years ago)

I think I’d rather be Not Mom of the Year too. Mom of the Year has to do too many stiff, responsible things that make kids yawn and say, “Why can’t we play outside with you?” Great stuff!

July 14, 2010 at 10:36 am (6 years ago)

Amen. And a bored kid is a kid who’s about to get into trouble.

11. Holly S
    July 14, 2010 at 10:25 am (6 years ago)

Hey – thanks for getting in my head and writing this for me! It’s a comfort to know how many other moms forgo spotlessness for fun, family time.
    Terrific post!

July 14, 2010 at 10:36 am (6 years ago)

A spotless house is a boring house. I mean, hey, by keeping it messy, you’re doing your kids a favor. There’s so much more for them to explore!

12. Gail
    July 14, 2010 at 11:14 am (6 years ago)

Love it.

July 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm (6 years ago)

*blush* thanks!

13. Marilyn (A Lot of Loves)
    July 14, 2010 at 1:01 pm (6 years ago)

I interpret being Mom of the Year as someone who does the best she can for her family and herself. It sounds like my Mom of the Year is the same as you Not Mom of the Year.

July 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm (6 years ago)

Then I think you are one awesome lady…and deserving of the Not/Mom of the Year title.

14. Nicole I
    July 14, 2010 at 3:10 pm (6 years ago)

I absolutely loved this post. I’d much rather be a “Not Mom of the Year” too. There are people in my life that criticize me for not having the perfect house and perfectly kept children, but you know what, my children are happy with the way things are. They appreciate when I take the time to have water fights, make mud pies or whatever else we do. They could care less about a having a clean floor they could eat off of. If that makes me a bad mom and some people’s eyes, so be it. At least my kids will have good memories of time well spent having fun and enjoying life.

July 14, 2010 at 4:21 pm (6 years ago)

I, for one, think memories are way more important than clean floors. I’ve even been known to let my kid eat cheerios off the dirty floor (but don’t tell anyone). Tell thos stick-in-the-muds to stuff it!!

15. AngieB
    July 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm (6 years ago)

“She looks at her daughter and smiles, knowing that so far, she seems to be doing something right.” That made me tear up – the moment when it’s all worthwhile! Wonderful post!

July 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm (6 years ago)

It definitely is. It’s also the moment I try hard to remember when I’m about to rip my hair out of its roots.

16. Nancy C
    July 14, 2010 at 3:43 pm (6 years ago)

It’s a gift to find somebody that understands your heart. This is tremendous. I hope to be this ‘bad’ of a mom.

July 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm (6 years ago)

I’ll bet you are already are. Or even worse/better.

17. Shell
    July 14, 2010 at 4:34 pm (6 years ago)

Love this post! Your Not Mom of the Year sounds real and very much like my definition, too!

July 14, 2010 at 8:26 pm (6 years ago)

That’s because we’re both brilliant women!

18. bluecottonmemory
    July 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm (6 years ago)

Beautiful! It’s all about focusing on the children, not the spotlight focusing on the mom! However, I do think there are worthy moms who fight battles that I never want to fight that deserve mom of the year. I don’t think their challenges are boring – I just would never want to fight them – moms who love their children through major health crisis or moms whose sons serve in the armed forces.

Your post was beautifully done – because the heart of a mother is formed just like a diamond!

July 14, 2010 at 8:25 pm (6 years ago)

Those women are my heroes. They deserve a special award – perhaps Super Mommy of the Year.

19. AmyBlam
    July 14, 2010 at 7:28 pm (6 years ago)

THAT is an awesome post! Loved the way you look at mommyhood-I feel pretty much the same way.

July 14, 2010 at 8:25 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you! I would like to be better at the housecleaning stuff, but I stand behind it all!

July 15, 2010 at 8:55 am (6 years ago)

thank you!

20. Mungee's Ma
    July 15, 2010 at 9:35 am (6 years ago)

Mungee almost ate a dust bunny yesterday so … yeah. I like that you put a positive spin on why it’s okay to be Not Mom of the Year!

21. AJ Collins
    July 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm (6 years ago)

Isn’t parenting soooo messy! man!

:) Lovely post!

July 19, 2010 at 8:20 pm (6 years ago)

Messy for sure. But in a good way, right?

22. Britt
    July 19, 2010 at 7:45 pm (6 years ago)

True that, woman!

July 19, 2010 at 8:17 pm (6 years ago)

I’m glad so many agree!

23. Alexandra
    July 21, 2010 at 11:48 pm (6 years ago)

Hi, Amber: just came over to wish you luck. I liked this post from the beginning, and still do. I am flattered to be included with the likes of posts like these…

24. Andrea
    July 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm (6 years ago)

This post was so perfectly worded. I absolutely love it. Good luck to you!!! Thanks for sharing your take on the non-mom-of-the-year, I so KNOW her, and I so AM her!

July 24, 2010 at 9:03 pm (6 years ago)

We all are…at least a little bit!

25. Erika
    November 11, 2010 at 2:03 pm (5 years ago)

It is like you just described ME! This is so fantastic.

I hope you won for this post!

November 12, 2010 at 8:44 am (5 years ago)

I didn’t, but Alexandra won, so you know. I couldn’t feel to awful about it (she is, after all, the nicest blogger and one of the best humans I have ever met).

7Pingbacks & Trackbacks on A Title I’d Be Proud To Have.

1. […] I thought this post from Amber Page Writes was really cute. It’s about the award she’d love to win, entitled A Title I’d be Proud to Have. […]

2. […] 3. Amber Page Writes – She described “Not” Mom of the Year to a “T.” […]

3. […] the things that make a life worthwhile are the same things that make me Not Mom of the Year. And if you agree? Kindly do me a favor and vote for me over at Life Without Pink. The part of me […]