A New Way to Look at Pole Dancing.

Pole dancing gets a bad rap. In fact, most folks think its practice is limited to desperate strippers in badly lit clubs.

But, you know what? It’s not.

Lots of women are doing it. For fun, for fitness, for the delicious feeling of power it gives them.

Women like my friend Elona.

She’s an optician by day. A happily married mother of two spoiled felines. A tax-paying homeowner who rarely drinks, and almost never frequents seedy bars. Her life is about as far from that of the stereotypical stripper as you can get.

She, quite simply, loves to dance. And, to her, pole dancing is just another way to do it.

I’ll admit, I raised my eyebrow at her when she first told me she was  going to take a pole dancing class. It just seemed…weird. Sure, I’d heard that it was the cool new thing to do. But this was Detroit. And Detroit? Is not exactly a hotbed of coolness.

But take it she did. And soon, she was talking about opening her own studio.

And my skeptical eyebrow nearly flew off my face.

Fast forward to 2009. Elona’s got a business plan, a lawyer and an insurance agent. She’s also got her very own studio with beautiful wood floors, floor to ceiling mirrors and a ballet barre. You could mistake it for a regular old dance school…until you turn and see the six poles suspended from the ceiling.

She’s the chief Wonder Woman of Wonder Women Pole Studio.

In her off hours, you can find her teaching people to do things like this:

And this:

And even this:

She’s making her dreams come true. Teaching women to fly. And getting pretty damn buff in the process. She rocks. And so do all the women who pole dance with her.

I dare you to tell her that pole dancing’s for whores. I double dog dare you. Just make sure I’m not standing next to you when you do, because she’s going to kick your ass.

And I will cheer her on.

19 Comments on A New Way to Look at Pole Dancing.

1. Elona
    July 14, 2010 at 9:19 pm (6 years ago)

Oooooh! I love this! Thank you so much!!

Also, you need to tell me how I can make myself a profile on your new website cause I can’t figure it out. :(

I did my first public performance at Metro Detroit’s First Annual Pole Showcase this weekend. Think of it as a city wide dance recital…with poles.

I, of course, took the dorky route, and am quite happy I didn’t pee on stage or break my head.

July 15, 2010 at 8:56 am (6 years ago)

Not peeing on stage is always a plus. Although, isn’t there some video of Beyonce where it looks like she peed her pants?

• suzi
        July 15, 2010 at 7:44 pm (6 years ago)

I don’t know about Beyonce but I know there is footage of Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas peeing her pants on stage….oops.

I totally understand, although zumba isn’t given the same wrap as pole dancing classes, some people think they are too provocative with all that chest, hip and butt shaking/moving. People need to chill out, stop takign themselves to seriously and have some fun. Pole dancing is HARD. I give serious props to anyone that can do it (strippers included!)

2. gigi
    July 14, 2010 at 9:40 pm (6 years ago)

Wow…Good for Elona! Nothing like taking a hobby and making a fab business out of it! Why can’t I do that with blogging?!!

July 15, 2010 at 8:55 am (6 years ago)

I don’t know, but if you figure out how, tell me the secret.

3. Charlotte
    July 14, 2010 at 10:05 pm (6 years ago)

Congrats to Elona for following her dreams and opening up her own studio! I think what she’s doing is fabulous, and as Gigi stated above: I only wish I could do this with my blog as well :)

And that’s awesome that you’re showing your support for your friend by posting about this. If I lived closer, I would totally go :)

July 15, 2010 at 8:54 am (6 years ago)

I just think it’s really cool. If I lived closer, I’d go too. But in a college town? There’s no way I’m mixing with the co-eds that do this stuff (I already have an inferiority complex).

July 15, 2010 at 8:53 am (6 years ago)

Isn’t it? I wish I had half of her guts.

4. dusty earth mother
    July 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm (6 years ago)

You go, Elona! wow! I honestly will look at pole dancing in a whole new way.

July 15, 2010 at 8:53 am (6 years ago)

Sometimes she actually calls it “vertical fitness.” So there you go.

5. Cluttered Brain
    July 15, 2010 at 12:24 am (6 years ago)

I’ll say she is buff…
    Whoah!!
    Who knew that pole dancing could look like that?
    Awesome!

July 15, 2010 at 8:52 am (6 years ago)

She was telling me that she popped the buttons off the arms of a shirt when she flexed. Too funny.

6. Florida Girl Meets the Midwest
    July 15, 2010 at 8:34 am (6 years ago)

I think this is fantastic. I love to dance and have pondered this option more than once. And awesome that she opened up her own business. Yeah for independent thinkers!

July 15, 2010 at 8:52 am (6 years ago)

Yep, I’m pretty proud of her (as you can tell by this post). I suggest you try it – but fair warning? It’s waaay harder than it looks.

7. Jen
    July 15, 2010 at 8:19 pm (6 years ago)

Wow, this is really cool and might even get me off the couch to exercise. :)

8. Deanna
    July 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm (6 years ago)

I love to pole dance… So much exercise and so much fun…

9. Barb
    July 19, 2010 at 12:00 pm (6 years ago)

I think this is really cool ~ I’m just afraid at this stage of my life I’d injure something important!

July 19, 2010 at 8:20 pm (6 years ago)

I’m kinda afraid to try it for the same reasons. I’m a klutz!