Children of the 80s, Rejoice!

I am a child of the 80s. As such, I have an unabashed love for all things hair metal.

After all, Bon Jovi’s “Living on a Prayer” played as I had my first awkward dance with a boy in the sixth grade.

Cinderella’s “Nobody’s Fool” was the angst-ridden power ballad I cried to during those painful middle school¬† years.

My friends and I sighed over the golden locks of the Nelson twins and lusted after Sebastian Bach.

We rocked out to Motley Crue, Metallica and Van Halen.

We lit our lighters at Warrant concerts, and drove recklessly while jamming to “I Can’t Drive 55” by Sammy Hagar.

To this day, the sound of a gritty guitar riff stirs part of my soul, demanding I turn up the volume and roll down the windows.

And that? Is why the discovery of Rock Sugar made me smile today (and dudes? I needed a reason to smile). They take all our old favorites, mash them up and give them a new life. Sounds ridiculous, right? Well, it is. In a completely awesome way.  Check this out:

See? Pure hair metal magic. I’m not ashamed to admit I’ll be buying their album in the very near future. Maybe you should too.

Oh, and fellow eighties rockers? You’re welcome.

35 Comments on Children of the 80s, Rejoice!

1. Unknown Mami
    June 29, 2010 at 9:02 pm (6 years ago)

I forgot to tell you the blog looks fabulous!

June 30, 2010 at 9:22 am (6 years ago)

Thank you! As does yours!

2. dusty earth mother
    June 29, 2010 at 9:03 pm (6 years ago)

hey, just subscribed to you! looking great around here, amber!

June 30, 2010 at 9:22 am (6 years ago)

Hopefully I’ll get all the technical stuff worked out eventually, but so far I’m liking it!

3. Unknown Mami
    June 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm (6 years ago)

It looks like the fist comment I left never went through so here it is again:

OMG! I haven’t thought of The Nelson Twins in forever and I think I might have never thought of them again if it weren’t for you.

I un-followed you, then re-followed you through Google Friend Connect and it seems to be updating now.

I am going through the same thing. I moved to WordPress and I’m lonely. Will you stop by when you get a chance and if your feed is no longer updating will you re-subscribe? Pretty please. Oh maybe, my first comment didn’t go through because I left a link. I won’t leave it this time. I’m not trying to spam you.

June 30, 2010 at 9:23 am (6 years ago)

They’re still around. Touring even, I think. I must admit, I’d see ’em if they were anywhere close. But they won’t be.

4. erica
    June 29, 2010 at 9:25 pm (6 years ago)

I am pretty sure you and I discussed Nelson before… and I know we talked Bon Jovi… but this is awesome. Awesome.

June 30, 2010 at 9:24 am (6 years ago)

We have indeed. I thought you would appreciate it.

June 29, 2010 at 9:32 pm (6 years ago)

And when I was at the Def Leppard concert and they sang “Pour Some Sugar On Me”, I had little sugar packets in my pockets and I threw them around to those seated nearby and we ripped them open and poured accordingly.

June 30, 2010 at 9:24 am (6 years ago)

You know, I was totally blanking on their names when I wrote this. I think Tori stole those brain cells. They were one of my faves too.

6. Elona
    June 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm (6 years ago)

Yeah..I’m going to see Cinderella on Thursday…

June 30, 2010 at 9:25 am (6 years ago)

Have fun. And take pictures for me…do you still have a thing for that guy’s hands?

7. Leanne
    June 30, 2010 at 12:25 am (6 years ago)

SO funny! I am definitely a child from the 80’s and the music … like, SO totally awesome! (is that 80’s enough?) But I love Rebecca’s comment above – I was a Def Leppard girl, definitely! Thanks for the giggle (I can’t believe I found men with hair like these music guys so hot! What was I thinking? Their hair was longer than MINE!!! That’s just not right!)

June 30, 2010 at 9:26 am (6 years ago)

My hair is still not that long. And probably never will be. It’s so much work when it gets like that…maybe that’s why the hair bands always looked like they needed to brush their hair.

8. Alexandra
    June 30, 2010 at 9:46 am (6 years ago)

But a true rocker from the 80’s would be reminiscing on the fabulous “Scorpions” from Germany. Who could stand still to “The Zoo?”

YouTube it.

You won’t soon forget it.

Thanks, Amber. I’m subscribed. AND LOVE YOUR NEW PLACE. It looks SO grown up.

June 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm (6 years ago)

Oh, I forgot about the Scorpions. Yes, they were on the playlist, too. Not one of my faves, though.

9. Gail
    June 30, 2010 at 11:24 am (6 years ago)

OMG. The entire time my friends were listening to NKOTB, I listened to Guns N’ Roses. (Axl & Izzy were from my hometown!) I LOVE hair bands and metal from the 80s.
    That being said, I live just outside Chicago, and a few years ago when the White Sox were on their way to winning the World Series, that motherf-ing Journey song was on the radio ALL THE TIME. And they used it as a soundtrack to the news too. I hated that song after about 2 days…yet can’t keep myself from singing it whenever it comes on.
    I loved this “compilation.” Awesome. I think I’ll be buying their CD too:) Thanks!!

June 30, 2010 at 1:33 pm (6 years ago)

Happy to have been of service. I am proud to report that I never liked NKOTB…although I’m not sure if Nelson was much better. Yes, actually I am sure. They, at least, have some level of talent.

10. gigi
    June 30, 2010 at 6:24 pm (6 years ago)

Wow, that is crazy fun!!!!! fun note: I was a bridesmaid in a wedding that was also groomsmanned by the Red Rocker.

• amber
      June 30, 2010 at 8:17 pm (6 years ago)

Awesome! I think we need more fun music. At the risk of sounding old, if I hear one more Coldplay-sound-alike, I’m going to shoot myself in the head.

11. Holly L
    June 30, 2010 at 9:27 pm (6 years ago)

First, I have unfollowed an refollowed so I get your updates again../that seems to help.

I am having flashbacks now…these are all the bands I remember. LOVE it!

I saw Rock Sugar on the show Private Chefs of Beverly Hills…the were kind of a**es but if I can have a heavy metal flashback I maybe can forgive them.

• amber
      July 1, 2010 at 9:23 am (6 years ago)

Oh, that’s right. I saw that episode too and wondered who the heck they were at the time. But, hey I don’t want to date ’em, just listen to their music. So who cares, right?

• amber
      July 1, 2010 at 9:24 am (6 years ago)

You’re very welcome. :-)

12. Gina
    July 2, 2010 at 3:50 pm (6 years ago)

That’s awesome! I’m an 80’s child myself and I don’t care what anybody says, it was a great and fun decade. For everything!

13. Jenny Matlock
    July 6, 2010 at 6:59 pm (6 years ago)

Unfortunately I am not a child of the 80’s but this was a cute post!

July 6, 2010 at 8:14 pm (6 years ago)

I don’t think you really have to be an 80s child to enjoy their music…but it helps!

14. Heligirl
    July 9, 2010 at 11:15 pm (6 years ago)

Oh, flashback! I think you gave me whiplash at that. I totally bawled my eyes out at “Nobody’s Fool”…

“I’m not your foooo-hoo-hoo-hoo lll, wah-hah-hah-hahhhhhh”

Middle school sucked. But those hair boys made it just that much easier. They understood me, man! :)

July 10, 2010 at 8:33 pm (6 years ago)

Ha! I’m glad I’m not the only one.

15. Dalia
    July 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm (6 years ago)

I finally found you! The 80’s, love it! Bon Jovi was one of my favorites back then. I just recently went to another Bon Jovi concert! Brought back major memories!

July 19, 2010 at 8:21 pm (6 years ago)

I love Bon Jovi. Always will, I think. You are a girl after my own heart!

16. Elona
    March 27, 2011 at 10:25 pm (5 years ago)

I totally think we need to find a Nelson concert to go to this summer! They’re going to be in Byron MI on April 29th. Now where the heck is Byron?

17. Elona
    March 27, 2011 at 10:29 pm (5 years ago)

The bio on the Rock Sugar site is AWESOME!

18. Peter
    October 2, 2014 at 2:55 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for this post Amber! Stumbled upon it while I was searching for The Nelson Brothers. When I checked the Rock Sugar video and they started singing Don’t Stop Believing it made me smile so wild I can’t tell. :) Thank you for making my day! :) Keep up the good job!

All the best from Hungary! :)

Peter