A Message to the New Mommies of the World.

To all you brand new moms out there:

I have one thing to say to you, and one thing only. But it’s important, so pay attention.

Are you listening? Then here it is. No matter what you’re thinking or how you’re feeling, it’s okay.

Really. It’s okay.

It’s okay to feel ridiculously overwhelmed, and to be unsure if you can get through the next 24 minutes, never mind 24 hours.

It’s okay to look at your baby and be blown away by the fact that this wondrous little creature actually came out of you (also, how did she ever fit in there?).

It’s okay to wonder why no one ever told you how hard breastfeeding is and to sometimes feel like giving up (it’s even okay to give up, if you need to).

It’s okay to think that those little baby burps are the cutest. noises. ever.

It’s okay to look down at your still pregnant-looking stomach and think about indulging in some do-it-yourself liposuction.

It’s okay to change your baby’s clothes twelve times a day because she just looks so darn cute.

It’s okay to feel like murdering your husband when the baby starts screaming at 3 a.m. and he just rolls over, putting the pillow over his head to block out the noise.

It’s okay to wish your baby would hurry up and learn how to talk because trying to interpret his screams is getting old.

It’s okay to feel like snatching your baby back every time someone takes her from you.

It’s okay to wish someone was around to take the baby away from you.

It’s okay to feel sad, angry, overjoyed, bewildered, overwhelmed, terrified…even all at the same time.

Whatever you’re feeling, whatever you’re thinking, it’s okay.

You’re doing your best, and that’s all your baby asks. And as for the rest of the world? Well, feel free to tell the rest of the world where it can go.

Don’t forget to visit Mama Kat for this week’s other brilliant workshop entries.

21 Comments on A Message to the New Mommies of the World.

1. Michelle @ Flying Giggles
    May 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm (6 years ago)

Wonderful post! Every new mom should read this.

As far as my husband goes, he literally snores right through the cries!

2. Jeanette
    May 6, 2010 at 10:23 pm (6 years ago)

Great advice!

3. Pammie
    May 6, 2010 at 11:07 pm (6 years ago)

This is a wonderful list of things to remember as a mother. I had my 3rd child 5 months ago and I needed the reminders. It's been nearly 10 years since I've done the baby routine. I forgot how hard it all was. I still feel all the same emotions this time around.

4. One Cluttered Brain
    May 6, 2010 at 11:15 pm (6 years ago)

Wow. This is a good post.
    As usual. I do believe EVERY Mom should read this, not just the new mom's.
    You have spoken well. :)

5. alicia
    May 7, 2010 at 12:11 am (6 years ago)

Great post. I just dumbed into your blog and was sucked in. You are so right and so many moms can relate even if they don't say it.

6. Gail
    May 7, 2010 at 1:20 am (6 years ago)

You are SOOO right. It's OK. We put so much damn pressure on ourselves. It's impossible not to have mommy guilt…which I HATE. I do love this list. My daughter is only 15 months old, and I am 14 weeks from having my 2nd, but I feel like I've already forgotten those first couple of simply awful months. And I was lucky that it was only a couple of months.

7. Alex
    May 7, 2010 at 1:25 am (6 years ago)

although I dont have kids,

I feel like this post is very true to ALL moms

8. jadenotjaded
    May 7, 2010 at 1:57 am (6 years ago)

YES! Those darn feeling which are so unreliable…yet so overwhelming…I remember thinking it would never stop! Thankfully they weren't forever.

9. pinkdaisyjane
    May 7, 2010 at 2:50 am (6 years ago)

Wish you had been at my house when I brought my first baby home! :)

10. Bossy Betty
    May 7, 2010 at 3:16 am (6 years ago)

Great advice! I would have loved to heard these things when I was just starting out.

11. Brittany
    May 7, 2010 at 3:45 am (6 years ago)

AMEN!

I wish I had this list when I had my son! I felt so crazy all the time!

They should just hand this out at the hopsital!

12. The Empress
    May 7, 2010 at 5:48 am (6 years ago)

How I wish I had someone tell me all that.

You're going to help someone with that list,you know.

Happy Mother's Day!

13. lessonsinlifeandlight
    May 7, 2010 at 2:48 pm (6 years ago)

I'm not a mommy yet, but I will be someday! I'll be tucking this away for later ;o)

May 7, 2010 at 8:43 pm (6 years ago)

"It’s okay to be absolutely terrified to cut your baby’s nails (I recommend just chewing them off)."

Saw the movie Babies last night and the baby from Nambia……….that baby's mom actually shaved the kids head when she was like 5 months old…with a HUGE KNIFE!!!!

I looked over to my friend and said "And we were afraid to trim their nails with baby size nail clippers!!"

You really get a feeling of "it's okay" when you watch that movie!

15. Mommy Lisa
    May 7, 2010 at 9:14 pm (6 years ago)

And for HEAVEN SAKE YOU WILL WANT TO CRY. Just do it and get it out.

I would hand the baby to my hubby maybe once a week…go sit in my room, lay on the bed, and cry for how TIRED I was.

It helped a LOT.

16. dusty earth mother
    May 7, 2010 at 10:16 pm (6 years ago)

VERY nice, Amber!

17. Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife
    May 8, 2010 at 1:21 am (6 years ago)

AMEN! This is so true. I needed to hear this.

Have a Happy Mother's Day!

18. Jenners
    May 8, 2010 at 1:29 am (6 years ago)

Very well said!!!

And this took me back to when my baby wore mittens for the first two months of his life because we were so scared to cut his nails!!!

19. The Crazy Baby Mama
    May 8, 2010 at 2:52 am (6 years ago)

where were you almost two years ago? :) thank you for sharing this list with us…

20. erica
    May 8, 2010 at 3:52 pm (6 years ago)

It's okay to spend time on the computer catching up on blogs while your daughter is entertaining herself with new birthday toys… right?

21. mommablogsalot
    May 8, 2010 at 10:44 pm (6 years ago)

Awesome advice and so true!